add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Added thermal paste?

colonelmustard93

39 months ago

I have a Deepcool CAPTAIN 360 and I found out that it has pre-applied thermal paste. My question is, do I need to add more thermal paste if it already has some applied? The thermal paste I have is Arctic Silver 5 AS5 Premium.

Here are my specs for more info:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/CgPrTW

Many thanks.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Usually not a good idea. Just use the pre-applied for a few months and then change it out later on.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. Shall I just use propanol and apply with my thermal paste?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

yes- use some alcohol and clean off the paste thoroughly then apply yours to the cpu after it's all clean and dry! :)

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

NO DO NOT ADD THERMAL PASTE ON TOP OF ANOTHER! You should be fine with the stock thermal paste that the 360 has. It probably outperforms the AS5 as the AS5 is like 5 years old and apparently gets outperformed by a lot of TIM's these days.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

What product thermal paste would you recommend after the pre-installed thermal paste runs out?

• 39 months ago
  • 3 points

It won't "run" out. It hardens and stays on. You'll never have to replace it once it's installed properly.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Noctua or Gelid.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Paste doesn't run out. The stock paste will last several years.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

As already noted, just keep the stuff that is already pre-applied. Usually the pre-applied stuff is applied very evenly and generally much better then you can manually do.

If at any point you ever remove the stuff then yeah clean it with some TIM cleaner. I typically use this stuff: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akasa-ak-tc-tim-clean-cpu-and-heatsink-cleaner-oa-001-ak.html lasts ages.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Will do! :)

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the response guys. Forgive me for asking the silly questions but this will be my first ever PC build. I was a little confused with the thermal paste. I don't think I will touch the re-applied thermal paste and just install the cooler normally.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, I hear the Arctic Silver 5 is a bad paste that usually isn't recommended here

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube