add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Deal-breaker warranty question - H100i GTX AIO cooler / Corsair AIO in general

exitritual

48 months ago

Hi folks,

New PC this year, strongly considering a H100i GTX to cool the over-clocked i5 6600k (4.6Ghz).

I see that the cooler comes with a 5 year warranty (which seems pretty great), i've looked through corsair's site to no avail, so - My question is this:

If the cooler leaks or fails within the warranty period, AND it kills other hardware in my PC, is that covered by the warranty?

Obviously; The warranty covers the cooler itself, but it's the other hardware it could destroy which concerns me.

If yes: Great, i'll get one.

If no: I guess my second question would be:

Can a Be Quiet! pure rock, or Noctua NH-U14S (Possibly with a second fan) provide adequate cooling for said overclock?

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Corsair has good customer service, so they might. But the chances of it causing damage to other parts is very low. If sometime will die it's either a fan, or the pump.

A Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 could easily handle that. Slightly better alternatives are the Cryorig R1 and the Nocuta NH-D15.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

The reason i specified the two air coolers is that i'm buying the CPU/Mobo/RAM/Cooler as a pre-overclocked and pre-assembled bundle from scan.co.uk and those air coolers are the choices available - The OC is 24hr tested and guaranteed. Seems like the best option to both avoid the risk of an install 'incident' and to get a professional OC without my ham-fisted experimentation.

If the ACs can handle it as you say, i might just go for one of those to be on the safe side, but i'm also currently waiting to hear back from Scan for this same question.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

How much of a premium are you paying to get those overclocks? Overclocking really isn't too hard.

High end air coolers will perform the same as high end AIO's, and will be quieter.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

About £30 over the cost of the parts inclusive of tax (VAT)

But for that i get:

• 24 burn-in test
  • Guaranteed build and warranty
  • Pre-assembled

It's not so much about the overclock, it's more that it gets shipped as a single unit so that i don't have to risk destroying any more CPUs, of which i managed to destroy 2 on my last/current build. But luckily, i took the build insurance for £15, and managed to get both chips replaced which saved me a LOT of money.

I'm all for building everything myself, but i have to accept the reality that i have big clumsy fingers which are fine for the mechanical work i do, but aren't 100% compatible with very fine, very costly and very delicate electronics.

I'd say my other concern about Air cooling is the weight, but i doubt that's much of an issue as my current system has a LARGE air cooler and has done fine for nearly 5 years.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

My only concerns wouldn't be setting it up but having it assemble before being delivered.

There is always a chance during it may be roughed up a bit.

This is why I decided to assemble the PC myself for my new one.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

A reasonable concern, but such problems are covered under the warranty, and i will be making sure everything is properly seated before i turn anything on.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes... but on a case by case basis.... Theres a chance they wont, but they have done it many times and it used to be written into their marketing a few years back.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

That they give the cooler a 5 year warranty is great, but until i can get some kind of official word or reliable experience, i guess i won't be totally confident in buying one.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

go ask them on their forums. they have been asked that same question tons of times :P

http://forum.corsair.com

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Corsair finally sent me a compensation today. They also replaced my water cooling unit, my RAM and my powersupply. They already arrived two weeks ago. Thank you Corsair!

from: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=151907&highlight=leak

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Currently a few pages into the warranty/RMA section and i'm seeing LOT of dissatisfied customer posts.

This is not helping....

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

well ya, because the really mad (and often the very wrong) are the most vocal. No warranty issue happens fast, which is what most get ticked off about, but the company USUALLY makes good when they are shown that their faulty product did damage. Theres also a lot of idiots that try to game the system as well, which is a reason its no longer explicitly stated in their terms these days... scammers everywhere lol

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

just remember, register your products when you get them, and if you ever see damage, take photos, include details, and follow whatever steps manufacturers ask (and go to their support forums if available as employees there may help too)

it also helps that these things very rarely fail.... they are so popular that many will fail, but that's just because so many have sold... every product has a few defective units sold or abusive users in some cases.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, i get that.

I also get that a company needs to properly establish the cause of the fault and whether associated failures were the fault of their product. Both take time, and most people are too impatient to jump through the required hoops to get things done before flipping out.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube