add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Randon_Guy
  • 52 months ago

Quick run down of history and couple of OS questions

This is my new build for which I bought Windows 10 Home

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Randon_Guy/saved/#view=6jzQzy

I've also got an aging Dell Vostro laptop which has a copy of Pro on it, I think it started off life as Windows 7 and it has free upgraded its way up to Windows 10 Pro

The new build is up and running.

I was just going to do a format and a fresh install on the laptop, and the question was going to be do I need to unregister the key to reuse it on a formatted install or is it clever enough to realise it going back on the same PC

Now I'm thinking:

Can I pull the PRO serial (deregister it) off the laptop and do a fresh install of the PRO on to the new build (I'm assuming I can download a copy of Windows 10 Pro and make my own bootable USB?)

At the same time deregister the serial of the Windows 10 HOME on the new build and chuck that on the Dell Laptop

And also.. is it worth it?

Hope that all makes sense :)

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube