add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

A case to cool them all!

oo0filthy0oo

46 months ago

Hi everyone, I have a parts list that I am 60% through purchasing. It is now time to make the final decision on the case and cooling design. I am a complete amateur at this so any advice would be helpful. A bit of background, where i live is often over 30C, i do not have carpets but do have a dog. The tower will be off the ground not covered by a desk. In the future i plan to dual SLI the graphics cards. Either 980's or 980TI's. I will be AIO the CPU.

Any advice on push pull, negative, positive air flow, number of fans will be greatly appreciated.

The cases i can purchase where i live and rough price are:

NZXT S340 = 75 GBP NZXT H2 = 75 GBP NZXT H440 = 100 GBP NZXT Source 530 = 95 GBP NZXT Phantom 410 = 90 GBP NZXT Phantom 530 = 110 GBP NZXT H630 = 90 GBP Corsair Air 540 = 95 GBP Corsair 550D Obsidian = 95 GBP Corsair 500R Carbide = 110 GBP Thermaltake Versa H34 = 75 GBP Thermaltake Commander G41 = 75 GBP

Fans will be brought in UK

I am also looking for easy install and cleaning. I rejected the Silverstone R5 because the install looked too hard. Oww and please don't mention Phanteks.... i cannot get them here :(

Here is my part list.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £296.99 @ Ebuyer
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £94.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard £164.99 @ Ebuyer
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory £176.99 @ Ebuyer
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive £131.92 @ More Computers
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card £403.98 @ Ebuyer
Case NZXT Source 530 ATX Full Tower Case £72.98 @ Novatech
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £99.99 @ Amazon UK
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) -
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1442.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-13 13:30 GMT+0000

Thanks for any help

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Any advice on push pull, negative, positive air flow, number of fans will be greatly appreciated.

Generally positive airflow is to cut down on dust and pet dander, but it doesn't sound like that's a big issue. Negative airflow allows your fans to work more efficiently and would benefit your cooling.

For a dual GPU set up I'd go for something that won't have a "tower" for the 3.5 drives. Something like the Fractal Design S or the Corsair 400c would be a solid choice.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply, i might give negative a go as i think heat will be more of a problem for me than dust. I love the look of the Corsair 400c, unfortunately i cant find anyone who sells it where i live, i am guessing its a new model. I was thinking of getting the Corsair air 540 that way the hard drive cage and power pack are completely separate.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Eh. Cube cases are just so space inefficient, and an ATX one would be the worst. The biggest advantage is having multiple radiators in one panel IMO. And I wouldn't worry about the PSU and HDDs in the back because newer cases are having pretty impressive layouts these days, and the PSU was never really an issue anyways. The PSU generally draws air from outside the case and spits are outside the case so it's already isolated enough anyways (with the exception being older cases, or ones like the Raijintek Styx where the layout was compromised to fit such a small form factor.)

The Fractal Design S would be a pretty solid option because the 3.5 drives are located in such a way they won't impact any air for your GPUs. And yeah, the 400c is new, but you should still be able to get it by mail order if you can get the other Corsair models.

There's some decent enough Thermaltake options too if you like their aesthetics.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I could get one imported from the US but that would increase the price a little too much. By inefficient do you mean they are cramped inside or that they just waste space? I was originally going to go for the NZXT s340 as it looked good, had good reviews and was so cheap, But someone warned me that having two 980ti's would be a little cramped and maybe too hot for a Mid tower. Then i looked at the NZXT Source 530, but i heard that some of the screws are not tool free. That then left the Phantom and the Haf X, which i hear are great cases, but i think they look ugly and dated. I will take a look at the Thermaltakes not really looked at them much yet.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

By inefficient do you mean they are cramped inside or that they just waste space?

Waste space. More personal preference than anything else of course.

I was originally going to go for the NZXT s340 as it looked good, had good reviews and was so cheap, But someone warned me that having two 980ti's would be a little cramped and maybe too hot for a Mid tower.

You should be fine with a mid tower, I think the bigger problem would be that the S340 doesn't have particularly good airflow.

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/136694-best-cases-for-aircooling-multi-gpu-setups

Here's a thread I had not too long ago - you might be able to scrounge up some information from it. .^

From Thermaltake I'd probably look at the F31 and F51 options - the bottom and front intakes on those would be pretty good for cooling, and they have that option to not use a HDD rack.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info, I see you were interested in the Source and Phantom as well.

As always i cannot get the Thermaltake F models here. I have just checked what is actually in stock now at a price i can afford and it looks like i will be limited to....

NZXT Phantom 410 (old model, 530 still not in stock!) ($102) NZXT Source 530 ($118) Corsair 540R Air ($137) Corsair 400R ($90) Corsair 500R ($123)

The 400R is the cheapest by far. The 540 Air and 500R being the most expensive

From review tests it seems the 540 Air has the best air flow with the 400R, 500R and Phantom all about the same and the source in last place.

For noise it seems the 540 Air is the worst. Phantom and 400R, 500R being the best

Build Quality seems to be the Corsair models.

The one draw back with the Air it only has one filter on the front, none on the top or bottom. All the others have front and bottom.

Source is not a complete tool free build.

400R, and 500R do not have a window to view my pretty setup.

I am leaning towards a Corsair 400R for value or the 540 air for performance.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

http://i.imgur.com/K8gRWSS.png

Would this work? If i got it right it should be a negative airflow. Not sure if i would need a 120mm or 140mm on the back exhaust.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube