add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Obsedian 550d - cool enough?

yavor7

75 months ago

I love the 550D minimalistic look. Did a bit of poking around and aside from a tight fit on the upper side, the case seems fine. However, one reviewer pointed out that the case may tend to run hot.

Do you think I'll have issues with the following build? Note that I am NOT planning on overclocking anything at all.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Mbpt

Thanks.

p.s. have also been eyeing the 600T but it doesn't look as cool. If you know of any cases that look as clean/black and are slightly more spacious, feel free to recommend.

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

you are not planning on overclocking yet you have all the hardware to do it?

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

This. Also, the 650D came out - did you look at that model? If you buy a couple after market fans there shouldn't be any ventilation problems especially with a h100i.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the feedback, you mean if i get fans (could you recommend brands, specs?) i should be fine with the 550D or the 650D? I took a look at 650D, interestingly, it seems that it is an OLDER model looking at the awards (al lfrom 2011) whereas 550D has awards from 2012. I like that 650D seems to have more space inside, but not a big fan of the giant window (i know people love that :P). I just find the 550D monolithic design really unique. If the 650D window could be used for fans instead, that would be interesting...

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

The window is not marketted to be used for fan space. You might be able to purchase an after market side panel if the window feature bothers you.

After market fans are -usually- more efficient than stock fans (the ones the case come with). That being said, it doesn't matter which case you choose. It's generally an interesting idea to get a couple decent fans for any build - which are always reusable for future builds. This will allow you more air flow and better temperatures.

I highly suggest Noctua fans (any model) but they're a bit unappealing and expensive (sort of). There's also the AF or SP series from Corsair that have different models for different purposes (they have a 2-pack as well!).

There are 3 main categories you need to know of: quiet editions, performance editions and high pressure fans (usually used with radiators). I suggest quiet editions for your build since you're not overclocking and quiets will do the job well.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

The Corsair 200R is a great mid size case with no window if that interests you. I have the exact case as my workstation. Corsair 200R

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks, i really like the look, very clean, but it's going to be way too tight along the height dimension!

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks, well, let's say never say never :) but i don't have any plans to do that at first.

i've always had pretty mediocre systems so wanted to get quality stuff this time around that will have some longevity and feel really snappy!

any thoughts on my case?

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go with this build over the one that you have : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1MhGN

Any questions let me know

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

• in terms of EVO vs Pro on the SSD, i prefer to stick with the Pro as it's made with the more reliable elements and 5yr vs 3yr warranty, so i'm fine paying the extra
  • i'm reading up on the MoBo you recommended, any particular reason you chose it?
  • on the memory, i might "cave in" and switch to 1866 to save money depending on what monitor i settle on, but for now i'll keep the 2133 even though it's kinda irrational i know :)
  • 75 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the MOBO has a bit more features but I'm not too sure might have to check into that

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks, i actually have a new favorite - MSI Z87-GD65 - check out this post, look at the one marked with "Best Solution"

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1755985/asus-z87-pro-maximus-hero.html#.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

personally i think you should get a Fractal Define R4. Silent, vast space for ventilation,etc. If you want absolute silence from this case i suggest the non-windowed Fractal R4, as it has extra foam to dampen the noise from the case

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks, i've been looking into it but seems that the case is MUCH heavier than the 550D (27.1 lbs versus 16.5 lbs). not saying that's an issue per se but a few reviews pointed that out and said it's really heavy to deal with /sigh... why are these things never easy :)

• 75 months ago
  • 0 points

Im confused as to whats your reason with not getting the R4 even though the weight isnt an issue for you. For LAN parties it might not be the greatest to get, however you're only going to put the components in the case once. I suggest ditching the overpriced Corsair cases and either getting an NZXT Phantom or the R4. Sorry if i seem hostile, i just dont understand how the weight of a case will deter you away from it.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

no, you're not hostile, i'm very grateful you are taking the time to give your opinion and feedback here! i'm really loving this community.

i don't know why exactly, just the fact it's just really heavy and hard to move around. if you wanna put it on a table, it had better be sturdy :P. and the reviewers really pointed that out a few times. if i'm just going to plop it down on the floor and never move it, i agree with you that it's irrelevant (and this is most likely what's going to happen).

going to check out the NZXT now, thanks!

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, just checked out the NZXT, i'm really not a fan of the design, nor of the color (even the black one is too glossy for my taste). it is cool looking, but i'm really going for a more matte, monolithic, clean look. i will seriously think about getting the R4 though.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok sounds great! I dont want to be biased, but i would just stay away from Corsair Cases like the 650D as they arent worth the money in my opinion. They are great and all for looks, but way too $$$. Good luck w/ your build!

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you happen to know if the R4 would support the H100i AIO liquid cooler? Fractal site simply says "positions also support some models of 240 radiators, depending on configuration" which isn't too definitive. Thanks.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

A few builds on this site have utilized the H100i + Fractal r4 case. I think it depends where you put the radiator, which is usually at the top vent, though some people place it in the front. You'll be fine.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube