add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build $650 budget for my 16 y/o son.

BURNHOT26
  • 52 months ago

Looking for part recommendations for a pc to be built exclusively for gaming only. He wants it to have a high fps rate during gameplay. The pc will be operating in a room where the temperatures will exceed 98 degrees possibly into the 100's in the summertime. Is it possible to keep the unit adequately cooled in that environment?

He likes the colors cyan, light blue, reg blue, and white. That's if a color theme is even available. If not, then I can paint it or something.I can solder as well if adding leds somewhere inside would work as an option.

Update: I have a monitor and headset I don't have an OS, gaming mouse, large mouse pad, keyboard

A quiet running unit is not necessarily a priority by any means. If some parts are noisy but more effective with performance and cost, it makes no difference. It's not going to be louder than his music and partying.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

What needs to be included? monitor? Peripherals? OS?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

We have a monitor,headset. We don't have a gaming mouse or large mouse pad What's an OS?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Operating system, can you post that info in the original post please.

Do you have a keyboard?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Done:)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thx

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Assuming its a completely new setup.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $123.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $51.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $35.08 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card $129.99 @ Micro Center
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan $6.99 @ Newegg
Monitor Acer G227HQLbi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor $84.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master OCTANE Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $34.99 @ Newegg
Headphones Corsair Raptor HS40 7.1 Channel Headset $35.69 @ Amazon
Other Windows 10 CD Key $19.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $736.92
Mail-in rebates -$84.00
Total $652.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-21 08:09 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

If you removed the monitor, would you put that $ towards a better CPU or not? Thanks for taking the time to reply and offer your suggestions. I mean that sincerely.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, but then he would be able to see ^

Also you really need to update your post with what you need, I've assumed you don't already have monitor, but others don't.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

This is quite pleasent, but it has an absurd use of mail in rebates, it'll be disappointing for the buyer if he didn't have the funds to be able to get all of the parts in one go due to that.

Mail in rebates save a lot of money yes, but some people just don't have it in the first place

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi bud..

The i5-6500, despite being the top performer in its class doesn't run very hot with its rated TDP of 65 Watts.. Also the GTX 960 despite being only a liiii''l bit behind the R9 380X in performance, runs a lot cooler.. Infact this Skylake DDR4 pc with its lower rated vo;tage of 1.2V should belay all your over-heating worries..

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $54.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $35.99 @ Adorama
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB Superclocked Video Card $199.99 @ NCIX US
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW RED ATX Mid Tower Case $47.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $695.82
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $645.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-21 08:09 EST-0500

If you’re a student or faculty member, you can now search for your school and download Windows 10 Education and Microsoft Office for free. Even Parents of Students are eligible..

http://onthehub.com/windows-10-education-for-students/

Just click on "Find your school to get started" Link..

More info: Windows 10: What Students Need To Know

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

But without an operating system to upgrade from how is it possible to upgrade. Unless the upgrade is the same as installing win 10, thoughts?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

The parts were carefully chosen to minimize heat output. The i3 has a low TDP of 47 watts and its a great gaming CPU. The Crucial BX200 uses less power while still achieving good read/write speeds. The GTX 950 will give great frame rates at 1080p without extra heat output. The CPU cooler works great for pulling heat. Even on higher TDP CPU's. The case comes with three red LED 120mm fans which will help remove heat from the case. Went with a good power supply with plenty of headroom. Less strain equals less heat output.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WxVVhM

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your time. You are the only one of the four members who replied to that suggested a water cooling approach. I thought for sure that was a given but now I'm stumped… water vs. fan ?

Will this set up work for AAA games? My son mentioned CS GO was in his crosshairs too.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Either would be fine probably. Those ambient temperatures are high and going with a water cooler should be more efficient at pulling heat from the CPU. The i3 doesn't generate much heat, but since the ambient temperatures are high and heat degrades electronics it seems like water cooling is the way to go.

This system will handle CSGO just fine since it doesn't utilize more than four cores. The i3 is hyperthreaded so that helps. I tried to squeeze in a GTX 960, but I go over your $650 budget a little. The 950 is a great card for 1080p gaming, but if you could squeeze another $40-50, you could have a GTX 960 and gain even more gaming performance out of that system.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I have an older Compaq pc from back in 2001. If I'm not mistaken I believe I recall the front digital display window reading 3.50 ghz (I can get more info if needed) Are there any parts in it that could be used?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately no...that was probably an old Pentium 4.

• 52 months ago
  • 0 points

By the way watercooled are often louder and less effective then top end air coolers for the same price.

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

Water cooling is more efficient at removing excess heat. Its about heat transfer. Water will transfer CPU heat out of the case faster than air. With air you can get turbulence and heat pockets inside a case.

With such high ambient temperatures, its important to remove any heat the CPU produces before it has a chance to build up inside the case. But at some point, the liquid inside the cooler will reach equilibrium. Same temp as ambient or slightly above.

A good push/pull case fan configuration will take care of the rest.

For normal ambient temperatures, this wouldn't be an issue. Water or air would do.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

That's assuming he's using watercooling as an exhaust.

And many air coolers suck in air from th case and blow it straight out the back. Like the hyper 212, cryorig R and H series. The hot air only has the chance to go over the VRM'S on the motherboard, which is fine because it doesn't actually heat up the air too much.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

They do benefit from chilling speeds however, or otherwise from being able to bring a cpu that just stopped from being heavily loaded to idle temps down fairly faster then heatsink/fans solutions

• 52 months ago
  • 0 points

Yea but who cares?

• 52 months ago
  • 2 points

I happen to, the less time your cpu is heated up, is generally much better for it. OP does have to be mindful about the raised prices of aio liquid coolers though compare to fan solutions.

Also, with air coolers, Esp. big ones, he'll have trouble if he needs to switchout sticks/ ram clearance or pull out that cpu pin to do an rma if needed. etc

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I read the case only has 2 fans. I'm not understanding where the 3rd one is that you said comes with it?

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Look at the specs on New Eggs site. Hopefully they don't have bad info.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I see 3 fans there :)

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Update: I have a monitor and headset I don't have an OS, gaming mouse, large mouse pad, keyboard

A quiet running unit is not necessarily a priority by any means. If some parts are noisy but more effective with performance and cost, it makes no difference. It's not going to be louder than his music and partying.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube