add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC needed for Trading Currencies

jeffreypip
  • 51 months ago

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for all of your help.

My name is Jeff and I live in the United States, Ohio to be more specific if that helps.

I am an aspiring daytrader of currency markets and need a new computer to suit that purpose.

I would like a computer that is capable of supporting at least 9 monitors. I want the pc to be fast in such a way that it will handle what I need it to do without any problems and do so for at least 5 years (or longer) before I need an upgrade. I would like the pc to be quiet.

A little about how I will use it:
1) I'll have the trading platform I use from my broker streaming continuous data 2) I'll have a third party charting platform streaming continuous data - this is where the 9 monitors come in. Each monitor will display a chart, each chart has it's own continuous data stream NOTE: this software works better with A 64-bit last generation operating system 3) I'll have Goggle Chrome running with a few tabs open.

I'm not a pc gamer so I don't need graphics cards geared towards that. I don't need a lot of storage, I don't have a collection of movies on my HD now and don't intend to do that in the future. I can't think of anything else that I would need a large HD for. Since HD's have gotten bigger and cheaper over the years I'd say 2TB is double what I need. I would rather have a smaller faster HD than a bigger slower HD.

I already have the monitors and the monitor stand, and most cables to go from the monitor to the graphics card.

What I need help with is choosing:

Computer case - tell me the form factor and I'll pick one out somewhere. I just want something simple without any windows showing the inside of the pc (the pc will be kept in my bedroom so I don't want tons of flickering light coming from the pc).

All the guts of a pc - processor, mother board, memory, cooling system (fans or liquid), HD, power supply, and anything else you think I will need.

I've never build a pc before so I'm a little intimidated about doing it. In the past I've upgraded memory, heatsink, and the power supply. So I'm not a total rookie lol. But still I'm worried about putting an entire pc together by myself. I would like a very quiet computer....would liquid cooling be the best way to go for that? Is that also difficult to install?

Budget: that's hard to say, I know what I'm asking for isn't cheap. If I say $3,000 and the ideal setup within that price range is $3,300 then I'll pay the $3,300 because I'd rather get what I want that's best for me and ultimately I don't have much of a choice because I need this computer. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a $5,000 setup.

I hope I've provided enough information to help you help me. If you have any questions please ask :)

Thanks again for your help,

• Jeff

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

Here's some areas to concentrate on.

You're looking at a workstation so look at the WS series from Asus. You pay a premium but it will focus more on the features that you'll use. Get lots of ram, 32gb or more. Get a good psu like the EVGA G2 or P2 series. 750/850W should be enough. Good cases abound but look at Phanteks or Fractal Design. The non gamer series like the Enthoo Pro M or the FD Core series aere right down your alley and they are much cheaper without all the gaming flash. For get a HDD. Get a 1 TB ssd like the Mushkin Reactor. You will need a good quality gpu and possibly two of them to run 9 monitors. I would look at the 970 or 980ti. They have the connectivity to run that many monitors. One thing you might look at is getting the ultra wide monitors and running two screens at the same time.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

A number of weaker GPUs like the 750ti is a much better option than a stronger gpu solution. It doesn't take GPU power to run this setup, just a lot of outputs.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

True, but with 9 monitors I was thinking that the 2gb of DDR5 might be stretching a little. The 4gb on the 970 should do it just fine.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

With a 750ti, across all three cards you get 6gb of GDDR5. With dual 970s, you get 7gb and 1gb of choked GDDR5.

Triple 4k has no problem running on a single 950 in general use despite having the same memory as the 750ti.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The monitors I'll be using have 2 hdmi inputs and 1 VGA input.

From my experience with my current setup to use 6 monitors, 2 of the monitors could be connected passively and the other 4 needed to be connected actively. My current setup uses Windows Vista.

Is that still the way things go? With up to date hardware and the latest Windows am I still only able to connect 2 monitors passively and the rest need to be active?

With three 750ti cards, which have 2 hdmi ports, one dual-link DVI, and one DVI-D, will I be able to connect all 9 monitors without running into the problem of active passive?

I believe they make DVI-D to hdmi active adapters . I don't know what's available for dual-link DVI as I've never owned anything that has had that type of port.

Duh I just did the math. Three cards would give me 6 hdmi ports and 3 DVI-D ports of which only one of them would need an active adapter.

I'm still curious if I could use the dual-link DVI ports with my monitors.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Many DVI to HDMI adapters can actually run on passive power. Since both standards run on a digital signal, you don't need to power an analog-to-digital converter within the adapter.

If you're just running 1080p60Hz, this adapter will work. It's DVI single link, but it's compatible with dual link ports (it's just limited on data rate capacity): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0V5-00M2-001C1

So with the three 750ti cards, you'll have 6 total HDMI ports, and you can use a DVI port on each card through the adapter for the rest of the monitors

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks guys for replying so quickly!

I'm getting confused when you say GPU. Is that the graphics chip on the motherboard, or do you mean the video card/graphics card? Sorry I don't speak computer hardware language so well.

@fellway - I like how you showed a sample parts list, it makes it easier for me follow things.

@Dimwit - When you say WS series from Asus are you talking about motherboards? Good point on the HDD, I haven't shopped for a new pc in awhile and forgot how nowadays pc's are getting by with just a SSD. You said 970 and 980ti - are those graphics cards?

@fellway & Dimwit - I already have 9 24" Asus monitors that I wish to use in a 3x3 matrix config. Getting back to GPU's (still confused what you both mean by that), I was using a VisionTek Radeon 7750 eye6 PCIE @GB on my (don't laugh) Pentium 4 pc. It did the job running 6 monitors, but my pc seemed at times to struggle with the streaming data from the broker and the charting software I used. This leads me to agree with fellway that I probably don't need powerful graphics cards.

Thanks again for both of your replies. I look forward to figuring this all this out with you.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The WS series is the m/bd. The 970/980ti are Nvidia based gpu's (Graphic Processing Units). That system that Fellway posted is pretty good. I'd change the m/bd to either an Asus or Gigabyte board (ASRock tends to cut corners to keep the cost down) and up the RAM to 32gb. With 9 monitors you want everything to reside in memory for fast response. And I would go up on the gpu for the same reason. What you're looking for is blinding refresh speed with rock solid stability. Spend a little more for top of the line components will serve you well since downtime will cost you money.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you provide me with the specific Asus and Gigabyte boards you're talking about and point out how it's better than the ASRock?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I would recommend the 5820k or 5930k etc processors, 32 GB of ram and consider the graphics carefully, probably want more than 2 GB vram

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I've been doing a lot of reading and I have a better idea of where this is going, but I do have a bunch of questions.

Processor: I'm gonna go with the Intel Core i7 5960x. I really don't know how to compare processors, RaspberrPiFan suggested the Xeon, I don't know how much better it would be than the 5960, but the 5960 seems to already be very powerful, certainly powerful enough for my needs and will do so for many years down the road. I also like that it's cheaper PCPartPicker is showing it for $899 at Microcenter for in store purchase - I live about 30 min. from one :)

Reading the reviews of the 5960 I see a lot of people are overclocking it. I've never overclocked a CPU before. How hard is it? I see how some people OC it to see what its max potential is and I suppose if you really know what your doing you can make use of the CPU at it's greatest potential, but for someone like me I wouldn't even consider doing that. What I am considering is OC'ing it to something higher but certainly well lower than it's full potential so that I don't have to worry about damaging anything. Do you guys think I should do this or should I not even bother?

Graphics Cards: The GTX 970 is pretty expensive and I don't think I can justify it. I say this based on my experience with the VisionTek 7750 I'm using now. That card is doing what I need for 6 monitors on a 10 yr old computer. From that I think it's fair to say that trading charts are not too graphics intensive. As I mentioned earlier I am not a pc gamer and I think whatever the 970's do to justify their hefty price tag would be wasted on me. So I've decided to go with the 3 card solution provided by Fellway (GTX 750 ti).

Motherboard: I looked at all the LGA 2011-v3 MB's on Newegg to get an idea of whats out there. I can see why Fellway picked out an ASRock as many of their boards have 3 x PCI Express 3.0 x 16 slots to accommodate the 3 graphics cards he picked out. Dimwit suggested that I spend a little more money on top of the line components. Since I'm going with the cheaper graphics card solution, and I can get the CPU for $100 cheaper, then I don't mind spending more on a MB with a few more bells and whistles........I just don't know which MB that would be. Should I get one that has USB 3.1? Are there any manufacturers of MB's that newegg doesn't sell that I could be looking elsewhere for?

Reading the reviews of these MB's has me frightened!!!! OMG the troubles these people are having. I understand just about no product available has perfect reviews, but wow just about every MB has a 50/50 ratio of good to bad reviews. Although the ASRock MB Fellway suggested does have better reviews (I'm only looking at Newegg reviews). I'm very concerned with the lack of customer support people are receiving from Gigabyte - I don't want to have the same headache.

Memory: I see a lot of these MB's support DDR4 @ 3300, 3200, 3000, 2800, 2660, and 2400. Would it be worthwhile for me to buy memory faster than 2133? I've decided to go with 32Gb of memory.

That's all I have for now. I'll look into CPU coolers, cases, and PSU's now.

Thanks again for all your help and getting me this far.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking at reviews for motherboards is a tricky thing. You're likely to encounter every bad experience that people have, but only a small fraction of the good ones. I know that I am part of that problem, because I don't go through the trouble of reviewing for receiving a product exactly as I expected it.

The bottom line is that every motherboard manufacturer will put out a bad one every once in a while, and it's just part of manufacturing such a large number of boards. It's just statistics. Any decent brand will accept returns/exchanges of dead motherboards. I will say that ASRock, Asus, and MSI tend to deliver the best x99 boards, however. I encourage you to look through this assortment of boards to see which you might like best. I narrowed it down by having minimum 3xPCI x16 slots: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#h=3,8&L=4&c=101&f=2

As for overclocking the 5960X, that is certainly an option, but I don't see any reason you'd need to OC it for performance for a while. It's a highly capable processor out of the box. It's up to you.

For memory, it's not particularly beneficial for what you're doing, it only matters for rendering of huge files. But since 2666MHz is easily in the budget, might as well splurge a bit.

I went ahead and worked through the list again based on updated prices and input from you. For PSUs, it's nearly impossible to beat the EVGA G2/P2/T2 platform, so I went with a lovely P2 in the list. For CPU coolers, I put in the second best air performer possible. My previous list had the best, but it's unavailable at the moment. Either one performs well enough to trump any 240mm liquid cooler, especially in noise level. Case is largely up to personal preference. I like the Fractal Design Define series, as well as Phantek's cases

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VtBm4D

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for answering all of my questions.

Last night I was back at it again, looking at parts and reading reviews. I got fixated on the M.2 Gen3x4 that was on all these X99 MB's. Didn't know what it was all about at first but now I do and I really want an SSD that makes use of it. As far as I can tell the only SSD on the market that makes full use of the M.2 Gen3x4 slot is the Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512Gb. The lists you've created for me each have an SSD and an HD in it with lots of storage space available. I really don't require a lot of storage, and since the Samsung is expensive I'll go with that as my only storage for this pc. I figure if down the road I find I need more storage I can always throw something else in it.

I'm confused about one thing: reading the specs of these MB's it seems that when the M.2 is in use then that makes one of the PCIe 3.0 slots unusable. Is that correct? If that's right then I'll be needing a MB with four PCIe slots to use three graphics cards right?

Graphics cards: I still like the one you picked out. I also found this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125813

It seems that the only difference is that the one in the link I provided has 4Gb of memory as opposed to 2Gb, and the one in the link costs about $15 more. Is it worth getting the one with 4Gb? Will I even need it?

What do you think about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133579

With that I could connect my 9 monitors using 2 cards and I would only need a MB with 3 PCIe 3.0 slots

Also have a look at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5752CA6467

With this one I could also get by with 2 cards and a MB with 3PCIe 3.0 slots.

I really don't know how to compare the performance of each of these cards, especially when considering what I need them for. Whichever one you think is best I will go with.

Thanks again for all your help!!!

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not really worth getting a particular card just because it has more Vram. Vram isn't going to be helpful in a situation like this. What will definitely be helpful though is the extra video outputs from either of those cards. It'll also likely be easier for the PSU because it will definitely have enough for two cards, but it might not have all the PCI power connectors necessary for three.

Going with two of either of the PNY cards you linked should be fine. Usually I'd say to go with the cheaper one, but you might as well go with a 960 since it offers more power, should you ever need more. This 960 offers the quietest cooling system: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx9602gd5toc

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Good call about PCI power connectors on the PSU!

I looked at the 960 on Neweggs site and on the specs under Ports: Multi Monitor Support it only lists 4. I checked on MSI's website and they say the same thing.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm, if that's the case then I'd try to stick with triple 750tis, then you know you're set for multi-monitor. A nice feature of 750tis is their low power consumption, so they only have one or two 6pin PCI power connectors if they have any at all. Usually they also come with molex to 6pin adapters, so that is certainly an option if the P2 doesn't offer enough PCI connections.

• 51 months ago
  • 0 points

Something like this will be quite a bit more than you'd need. I can't put multiple of the GPUs in the list, but with a total of 3, you're set to go. I'm not sure what kind of monitor setup you want, but there's a lot of budget left to accommodate it

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor $999.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $89.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $189.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Mushkin Redline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Mushkin Reactor 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $164.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card $119.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $87.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1829.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-22 18:54 EST-0500
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube