add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Want to convert from Windows 10 to Play Linux?

therevenga
  • 51 months ago

I am tired of windows and i heard somewhere that direct x is being implemented onto linux so I went and searched distros and I found play linux. Looked pretty good but wanted to check in see if I should switch. I also would like to know how easy it would be to download steam games and not lose fps (I play gta online,H1Z1,Fallout 4, Skyrim, any bethesda title :P, Rust Legacy, CSGO, League, Cities skylines, etc) Point is would I see FPS Drop In the games I know and Love switching to linux?

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks like comunity support is basically nonexistent (I looked play-linux forum and there was nothing, there is so little that this is the 7th link) also, it's in beta.

and the thing you heard about dx coming to linux is probrably something about this

for games that run natively on linux there isn't really any difference in installing games through steam, the hardest thing is installing graphics drivers.

Games with a well done port and a well done gfx driver may actually run better on linux than windows. The problem is, this doesn't happen very much.

Warning: bethesda has never shown any interest in porting games to linux, so you'll definately be stuck with wine for those.

tldr: it's based on ubuntu with Cinnamonnot anymore and a few bits of nonfree software, you almost might as well just install linux mint

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

*sigh I just want a Linux distro that dosent take work to install the games I play and not lose fps!

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

What graphics card do you have?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Currently gtx 660

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/137766-the-linux-distribution-guide -a good thread talking about popular distros and desktop envuronments.

Both ubuntu and mint have automated installers for the proprietary nvidia drivers.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

what about amd drivers (getting a 390 later on)

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm not enough space in the hdd... Should I do a vm?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

If you use a VM be aware that not all VMs support graphics card 3D acceleration.

I think Qemu does but it will only work on very resent Linux kernel versions.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm.... Alright I'll get an external storage to install it on then dual boot. Thanks

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

So I test if I get any fps loss on this distro?

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

hmm... Alright ill do some benches on my current rig...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube