add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bossest idea ever

iJeewon

47 months ago

Imagine if you will a world in which Microsoft sells an "Xbox OS". Where there is no debate about console vs pc. YOu can get the preformance that you want but if you are on a budget get a console. YOu will be able to play with your friends and get that killer functionality. You will be able to dual boot your system off of an external ssd. This would be so awesome except the sales dropo off. Just thought of the idea and wanted to share. Leave comments please :)

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

The way I see it, an Xbox OS would basically be... Windows. Windows 10 is incorporating some Xbox Live functionality through the Xbox app already.

There wouldn't be a need to make a new OS. To accomplish what you want, they just need to expand the Xbox app to subsume all capability of the Xbox. Then, to achieve your vision, they'd I guess have to kill off the Xbox OR just make the next Xbox run a full-fledged Windows OS. This is actually somewhat in-line with Microsoft's stated goals, as they have been preaching "one OS" across all devices since the dawn of Windows 10.

It's not unfeasible that the next Xbox could just be a PC with standardized hardware running Windows 10, but with a "Big Picture Mode"-esque Xbox app installed and set to boot at start-up. Very SteamOS as Bespers stated above, but (hopefully) better implemented. To be accurate, Microsoft already claims that the Xbox one is running Windows 10... at it's core. But if that is the case, clearly what you currently get on the console is a vastly neutered version.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. I play both console and pc but the only thing that tethers me to consoles is my irl friends but if cross platform was implemented it would be really awesome

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Bossest idea ever

Lol

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

It is so sush

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Bossest

Lol

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Lets just create one super OS across all devices.

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

That would be so awesome finally I could get some much needed updates for my gameboy

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Forget profit. Lets focus on progression. Would never happen but in an ideal world it would.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Steam OS isn't incroporated into the xbox ecosystem. It is still in early stages and really doesn't reallly improve performance. Linux quite honestly beats it unless you plan on dual booting your sytem or running a parrellel then I don't reslly see any benefit. I just want pcs to connect to consoles.

[comment deleted]
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah I never got that though. I get that it's free but would Linux not be much better considering you have internet functionality too alongside many other PC features? Only reason I can think of is they want the controller and not have to use a keyboard and mouse but isn't 15 bucks worth the added usability?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

SteamOS does have a web browser though. Also, you can install packages on it if you want to.

That being said, you're right. IMO you would be better off just installing whatever Linux distro you prefer and running Steam in Big Picture Mode on it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube