add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooler For the i5-4690k

Neoz11

47 months ago

First off if I planned to not overclock would I need more than just the stock cooler for the i5-4690k?

And if I did plan to overclock the CPU what type of cooler would do? Would the Hyper 212 EVO be enough for overclocking or should I invest in some liquid cooling? Like the Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60.

Thanks!

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

The Cryorig H7 will be better than the 212. I have it on my i5 6600k overclocked to 4.5 ghz and I get idle temps in the 20's, and the max load temp while running a stress test is 70. In real life I never see it get above 60. I could push it higher but I am happy where it is. The H7 is super quiet, looks amazing, and was a breeze to install.

As far as AIO's go, it is by my understanding that they aren't really worth it until they are a 240mm rad. don't get an AIO that has a 120mm rad like the H60. When I eventually get an AIO, i will probably go for the NZXT Kraken X61.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

People say a lot of stuff. My 4690k with an Asetek 550LC (120mm rad) with push/pull fans runs at 4.7ghz 1.325V and tops out at 73c stress testing

Is it worth going from 4.5 to 4.7? Not really honestly. Other then running benches and seeing what you can push the system to there isnt any real reason, especially when you factor in the at least 0.075V extra voltage needed.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're not overclocking the only reason not to use a stock cooler is noise reduction. A decent $35 cooler is more then enough for an easy 4.5ghz OC. Trying to go higher then that usually requires a large voltage bump which will possibly require a better cooler.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

If you aren't OCing, stock should be fine. the 212 should be good for minor OCing, but a 120mm rad isn't worth it over an air cooler for the same price.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube