add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help me pick a psu please!

ZEBuckeye81
  • 50 months ago

Hey guys, I'm in the process of buying parts for my first build. I'll be going with an i5-6600k. Undecided on gpu - will start out with on board graphics and then look into the best gpu for my money down the road (will be looking in the ~ $200 range). 

Right now there are some good deals on psus. I'm pretty well determined to go with a gold rated evga, ideally the G2, based on much reading although am open to other options. 

Right now I can get the 550w G2 for $60 total. Another option would be the p2 650 for about $80 total. I've been torn on wattage, and despite reading a ton of material still can't decide. Stepping up to 750w and staying at least gold bumps me up closer to $100 to stay with the quality I'm looking for.

My current build has estimated 200w without gpu. I may do some mild overclocking down the road so want to leave a little headspace. Adding a GTX 970 puts me at about 350w. I  most likely will not be going to sli or crossfire at any point, I would put the money to one good gpu versus getting two.

So, is that roughly 200w headspace if I go with a gold 550w enough? Like I said this is my first build, trying to get the most bang for my buck, and if/when I OC it would be mild on both the cpu and gpu. 

Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

The 550W will be enough.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

First, the wattege number you see on pcpp is the Tdp, no the power consumption. Even the 980 ti could run on a 650 w psu and pacal and arctic islands ( the future gois from nvidia and amd) are going to be even more energy efficent, a 550w will do fine for your system, but know that that the 650 p2 is a much better psu, both are very teliable but the P2 is better value for money

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the p2 that drastically better? The 550g2 is rated a 10 where the p2 is slightly lower fwiw

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

its a different tier... the G2 is at the top of the Golds, but the P2 is still an evolution above it even if its not a perfect 10 in the Platinums... also, read the review and you see he deducted point only because he didn't see a reason for a cable... that's a very personal decision and it would be a 10 otherwise: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=446

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Tdp is? Total max power draw? So at idle numbers would be far less? Looking at the efficiency numbers on jonnyguru, the differences are pretty much a draw across the board.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

So, as I've asked others, is the p2 truly worth the extra 20 bucks over the g2 550? My TDP with adding a gtx 980 is 353. I don't know if 300w overhead is necessary, and wonder about the loss in efficiency at lower loads

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Its not a drastic amount of energy lost from efficiency, but efficency means less heat and less noise from the fan

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

get the p2 now while its dirt cheap... that 650w is enough to run any $200 card you find easily with oc headroom to spare, and the deal is just too good...

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah its a good deal, but $30 more for psu takes $30 from elsewhere. Plus that's through ncix who I've never dealt with. The G2 550 is Newegg

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

NCIX is odd to make a first purchase from, and they hit you on shipping often (not always), but they are overall very reliable.

Your money point is correct though. IF you can swing it, do it.... If it hinders the rest of your build, then theres many other great options to keep your budget needs instead of buying this sexy little psu :P

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, that's what pushes the price up to eighty bucks. Lol right.. $30 isn't a big deal whatsoever, I mean when looking at having a grand in this build and trying to go highest quality at the best price I can get

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

stick with the 550 G2. you won't even get the benefit of platinum efficiency with an oversized psu and your build won't even use350 watts at gaming load. it'll likely be idle most of the time like most systems, and that's terrible, sub bronze efficiency on a psu that's 600 watts or higher. my platinum 750 watt is showing less than 86% efficiency 95% of the time my pc is powered on because I don't load it fully all the time.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Right, so is the p2 650 at $80 total worth the $20 over the G2 550 at $60?

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

not for your uses. it sounds great at first, but the higher capacity lowers the low load efficiency, so it's not even gonna be more efficient. it's extra capacity you don't need at more cost. and the 650 G2/P2 like most other psus only has daisy chained pci-e cables. don't know about you but I find them annoying. and if you get a gpu like a GTX970 strix that only has a single 8-pin power connector it's untidy. basically, only get a 650 watt or higher psu if you know you are going to run a crossfire or sli setup, that's what they are made for in the first place.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube