add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Bbake516
  • 52 months ago

I have never built a PC before so I am new to this and have some general questions. I am on a budget of around $750 (price is inclusive with a monitor). My initial thought is that the most important things I want to spend money on are a good processor and good motherboard. I am looking at the i5-6500 skylake processor and the Asus Sabertooth Z170 S mobo. I just want something that I can always add on to later if needed. I will initially be using the onboard graphics with the intent of upgrading to a video card later down the road. Is this thinking correct or should I go for a cheaper mobo around $100 and get the graphics card now? I am mainly going to be using the computer to learn programming on and to do general tasks (web, spreadsheets, e-mail etc). Which is why I am looking at the skylake being that it supports DDR4. I am also toying with the idea of getting a "better" case. Was looking at the NZXT Phantom 240 but was thinking maybe the NZXT 530 might be better although much more costly (almost double the price). But I am wondering if the 530 is really that much better than the 240 to justify the cost.

Thoughts?

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Systems > Create A Part List For Me".

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need a Z-series Motherboard with a non-K CPU. Intel is blocking BCLK over-clocking and no-one really knows if that is permanent or not. The Sabretooth isn't justified for the build budget IMHO.

There is a new generation of Graphics Cards on the horizon, so it may be better to wait for the GPU.

I think the NZXT 240 is better value for money than the 530.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H170A-X1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $78.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $37.99 @ Newegg
Storage G.Skill Phoenix FTL 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 650W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $66.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Acer R240HY bidx 60Hz 23.8" Monitor $131.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $716.92
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $696.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-25 15:33 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually don't need the 3.5" HDD. I just removed one from a WD external drive that I had so I can just use that. For the RAM I was thinking of getting one dimm of 8GB so I can add more on later to get to 32GB (Not sure I would need 64 in this gen). I have an M.2 SSD slated for a later purchase. I believe it's the Samsung EVO 850 for about $85 so initially I would just use the 3.5" that I have to start. I'm still torn on the mobo though. It seems all of the mobo's have negative reviews of DOA's although that could just be people being upset. When researching it seemed like a lot of people really like the Asus boards. I was also looking at the Z170-A or Z170-AR that's around $155. Most likely I would be using Ubuntu to start so I need a board that works with it. I've read reviews on several boards that have said it doesn't work with Ubuntu (although I'm not sure why it wouldn't).

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Was looking at something like this but still unsure of the mobo. Good and bad reviews.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3YNmnQ

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $244.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler ARCTIC Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 36.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler $11.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $153.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $35.94 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case $65.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $15.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus VK228H-CSM 21.5" Monitor $116.99 @ SuperBiiz
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $25.59 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $761.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-25 16:53 EST-0500
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't recommend that PSU: http://www.overclock.net/t/1476935/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-supernova-nex650g-750g-aka-g1

The EVGA P2 in my build is an amazing price.

The Alpine CPU Cooler won't be good enough for a i5-6600K.

Do you need to over-clock and if so, what do you expect to gain?

It would be better to get 2 x 8GB matched RAM sticks now. What will you be doing to justify >16GB RAM??

That is a good Mobo, although the on-board sound isn't as good as the Gaming Pro: http://us.hardware.info/comparisontable/products/316437-316435-317171-317176

I think the issue with Ubuntu is more likely related to the Kernel rather than the Mobo. It looks like the 4-series Kernel has sorted the issue: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2433010/linux-kernel-43-brings-intel-skylake-and-open-source-nvidia-support

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

My thought behind the K is if I start programming and decide that I would like to do some game programming.

From what I understand with programming is the more RAM you have the better (as well as an SSD).

I'll have to look at other PSU's. I always thought the EVGA PSU's were good.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I wouldn't do another build myself without an SSD.

32MB RAM maybe for heavy rendering, but 16GB should be ample for most applications.

EVGA sell some outstanding PSUs, but they also sell some poor & mediocre ones. Avoid the G1/NEX.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/EVGA-SuperNOVA-NEX750G-Gold-Power-Supply-Review/Final-Thoughts-and-Conclus

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm thinking for the price it might be best to maybe go with corsair. They are a little pricey but it might be worth it in the long run. The problem that I have with companies is when they pull stuff like this (like evga did) I have a hard time trusting their other products too.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube