add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help me build a server

Phillip.Phillip
  • 51 months ago

Hello! Recently my dad has been running into an issue in his business where his computers were dying at a much faster rate than normal (1 every year or two) and I found out that the prebuilt HPs he has been buying have also been used as servers for all the other computers in the building. I want to help him with this issue by building him as NAS server and I need some help. First of all, I don't know whether or not to buy ECC memory and if need be, what kind of memory to buy. I see that there is Regestered and Unbuffered memory and I don't know what the difference is. Also, i really don't know how much computing power he needs. (Files would be uploaded and written to the server almost all the time and at least 3 computers should be able to access it at the same time). I know what harddrives I want to use though. I have decided on 3 WD Red 4tb but please let me know if there is a better drive I could use. Lastly, I would like to know if it is beneficial to go with any kind of raid (preferably some sort of redundancy or backup raid in case a drive fails). Thank you all for the help!

-Phillip

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $244.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Supermicro X10SLL-F Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $99.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive $149.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive $149.89 @ OutletPC
Case NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1044.62
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $1034.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-27 18:18 EST-0500

ECC is good, so I didn't stress over what variety of it is. I think your drive choice is fine. This build might need an optical drive for OS install but that's your choice. As for file redundancy, I have heard good things about ZFS, which is a filesystem that uses multiple drives in a pool. You could use this with Linux or BSD for sure. I plan on building a waaaaay cheaper server this summer so I have no hands-on experience so you should probably have a more server-savvy user proofread my list lol. EDIT: I would also go with some sort of aftermarket cooler if it's 24/7 use, but that's up to you.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to look into the cooler.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Reading material, lifehacker: Should I Use a DIY PC for My NAS or Buy an Enclosure?
And
Before spending any money, identify source of "...his computers were dying at a much faster rate than normal..."

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

It's because if the stress put into his hard drives. Consumer drives are not meant to be up and running 24/7 with files constantly being written and retrieved.

Thanks for that article! It looks to be very helpful.

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

This looks like something I'll go with. Thanks!

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay so my buget is 2000 dollars but my dad will only need 4tb. I want to put the drives in raid 1 for safety so we need 2 drives. Are those Toshibas reliable? I need the server to be up and running 24/7 for years to come.

No is or peripharals are needed and size does not matter. Thank you so much for your help!

[comment deleted]
  • 51 months ago
  • 1 point

No OS is needed sorry

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube