add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

<£1000 PC build - Need help finishing

IG007PL
  • 51 months ago

So here's the build so far: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/IG007PL/saved/#view=JY3LrH

I am going to use it for video editing as well as gaming.

For the video editing side, I need a large HDD so there is the 3TB green drive and the SSD for OS and 16GB of ram since that should be enough for Video editing software like Sony Vegas and After Effects.

For the gaming side I want to wait for the Pascal GPU's to come out and get the equivalent of the 970, so I need a recommendation for a good GPU that will be able to play CS:GO at a pretty reasonable framerate, a table 60 would be fine. I was thinking about a GTX 960, what do you guys think ?

For the motherboard, I need a white and black board since that's the theme of the build. I would like a pretty good rear I/O . I'm thinking about the MSI Krait Z170 or an Asus A170-A what are your thoughts about these ?

Last thing I need a cooler. Since I don't think that I will overclock very soon (I'm new to pc building and I don't want to go that far yet) I just want something that will match the White and Black theme. I would highly prefer a low profile cooler and as long as it performs a bit better than a stock cooler I am mostly going for aesthetics.

Thank you for all the help and feedback !

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Z170-A and Krait are very similar feature-wise. Krait has 1150 audio vs. the A's 892, if that's important to you. The A has all 4 video outputs, Krait has DVI and HDMI only. Why a gaming MB doesn't have Display Port is a question for the ages. Beyond that it's mostly down to preference.

If you're replacing the GPU later anyway, no reason to go nuts. GTX 950 or R9 380 are good choices. You could probably get away with a 750ti or R7 370.

Cryorig C7 is low profile with a white fan. 6600K doesn't come with a stock cooler, so there's not anything to compare to there. It'll definitely be better than the non-K coolers, though.

You picked out much more power supply than you need unless planning on multi-GPU. 550W will be a good match for your build, and there are lots of quality units available. Here's a list of likely candidates from Newegg UK.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube