add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Grab a 980 ti in my new rig or "patiently" wait til Pascal's supposed release this year?

Bodom0511

39 months ago

Will I be filled with regret if I were to build a 980 ti based pc now only to see the Pascal line release in a few months?

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

I did it just 2 months ago, knowing that Pascal is on the way. No regrets. Bottom line is that there will ALWAYS be something new on the way or on the horizon. It's the nature of technology. At some point you need to get on the bus! :)

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. At least I would after spending that much knowing a newer card will soon exist that is even better, but costs the same lol.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

For me it would depend on the resolution. If you're looking at 1080p or 1440p, a 980ti is plenty strong for either.

If you're looking at 4k, a 980ti is kinda lackluster performance-wise as a single card, and Pascal should have immense 4k improvement.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

I wish there was some general understanding of its price point. If the Pascal cards are gunna hit "titan" prices then forget it, I'll grab a 980ti, but if the Pascals are gunna be at the same price point at the 980's why would't I wait.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree. I would love to have the expected prices.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Pascal is going to be a range of cards. So the equivalent cards will sit at a price point like now. But expect a 10-15% premium or more being brand new.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

May be the holiday season '16 before Pascal is widely available: https://www.techpowerup.com/220372/nvidia-to-unveil-pascal-at-the-2016-computex.html

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

ty for this article

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

polaris gpu's will outperform anything nvidia releases lol

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

With the official release of TW:Warhammer being the end of April I think I am going to go ahead and grab an EVGA or MSi 980 ti 6GB. I NEED to be playing that game asap, I don't have months to twiddle my thumbs and hope a reasonably priced Pascal comes out by mid summer.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube