add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Noise vs No Noise whats the difference?

phantom1421
  • 49 months ago

So when i am using a PSU should it absolutely positively have NO NO noise coming from it one bit even with your ear up to it? Now i am NOT including the fan because the one that i have doesn't turn it on unless it really needs to.

OR

Do PSU's have some type of noise period? I understand what coil whine is but nothing to crazy where its really loud, they overall just have noise?

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

not all power supplies have the fan running 24/7. I don't even know if mine is plugged in :)

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you very much for this answer and i hope others contribute to this post, one last question, is coil whine bad for your PSU? and will it increase overtime as you use your PC?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the input, what power supply do you use?

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

what if it happens when under load only, i typical really can't hear anything that much when in normal use, however i have noticed the sound does relatively get louder when under load, is this still normal, I'm pretty sure it is coil whine but it doesn't seem to have that really whiny effect where i can hear it when I'm playing even if I'm trying to listen without game sound.

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

i honestly agree because at time when listening to the components of the pc while under load i feel like i hear some from the HDD and a little from the GPU and some from the PSU and its kinda difficult even with the paper trick, i honestly wish that this coil whine stuff never existed or i could put my PC in a separate room altogether so i don't hear it. Also the only extra issue i have is that because my case a vent on the side of it wit the glass panel it allows for the sound to escape which might make it easier for me to hear.

On top of that when building this it really wasn't something i expected to happen but will certainly take that into account in the future builds

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube