add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Small Windows 8.1 question

just_a_beaver
  • 51 months ago

Hello all,

If I were to connect an HDD (on a new system, that is) with all its procedures and stuff and it already had Windows 8.1 on it, would there be a problem for me? I was just browsing the Troubleshooting thread and I'm starting to get a bit shifty about doing this now...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it an OEM copy of Windows? If so, you'll need to reinstall the OS.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

OEM? All i know is that it's installed on the HDD, it wasn't mine originally so I dunno.

Does OEM mean it's locked to the original mobo?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll ask.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Correct.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

If I were to connect an HDD (on a new system, that is) ... and it already had Windows 8.1 on it...

If intending to boot from the HDD, don't be surprised if the system fails to boot due to BSOD.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Because it may be OEM? Or does that happen even with regular non-OEM Windows copies?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube