add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSA: AMD CPU Tempatures

vagabond139

48 months ago

I have seen way too many posts where people measure the temperature wrong and it has hit a breaking point for me so I feel complied to do this.

You have to use AMD Overdrive to get a accurate sense of how hot the CPU is running. There is a myth that its the senors. The sensors are fine, it is just how the bios and programs interpret the thermal margin which is what programs use which makes it seem wacky.

Most people would be freaking out if a program said the CPU was at 70 Idle and the number went down during load so the programs attempt to convert the thermal margin which is on a scale of 70-0 into a actual temperature but none of them are exactly correct and some programs do a worst job than others. This is also probably where that myths of AMD CPU's max temperature is 70C came to be about, people literally misinterpreting thermal margin. That is why you will want to use AMD Overdrive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 3 points

Interesting, when I get home ill look at lm-sensors (linux monitoring tool) and see what ive been looking at (i suspect that ive just been looking at the soccet temp)

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Alright, I'll make sure not to criticize AMD for their inefficient CPUs, and make sure to criticize them for their obtuse diagnostic tools.[/s]

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Excellent post.

If ya don't mind, I've got a few questions:

(1) On that last pic in the tomshardware link, the thermal margin is 24.8C (with the CPU under load). When that drops to 0--or close enough to 0, the CPU should throttle itself back to a safer margin, right?

(2) Does AMD Overdrive know the maximum operating temperature for all AMD CPUs and APUs?

(3) And, is AMD Overdrive good for measuring the thermal margin on Intel CPUs, or should I use a different program? (I'm tired of using multiple programs like HWMonitor, FanSpeed, and mobo manufacturers' utilities. They give contradictory readings sometimes, and the manu utilities are laggy).

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

When that drops to 0--or close enough to 0, the CPU should throttle itself back to a safer margin, right?

Yes.

Does AMD Overdrive know the maximum operating temperature for all AMD CPUs and APUs?

For at least all modern ones, FM2/FM2+ and AM3+ yes since they are all roughly based on the same architecture so they should have the same max operating temperatures. For older cpu's I would imagine AMD took that in to mind when making the program so I am wanting to say yes for all but I'm not 100% sure.

is AMD Overdrive good for measuring the thermal margin on Intel CPUs, or should I use a different program?

I don't even know if it will work with Intel cpu's and even if it does I wouldn't recommend it since you can get a out right actual temperature with Intel cpu's.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks.

For the Intels, is HWMonitor all good, or would you recommend something else?

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 if i could

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube