add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will this psu be an overkill?

FatalLulz
  • 49 months ago

So, my PC build will use 467W at max, recommendations are to have a psu with 10-15% watt output for best efficiency. In time I want to add another GTX 980ti to my system, I'm wanting to buy the EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply but I'm worried that for the first 3-4 months that I have the PC without the second graphics card, that it will be an overkill and give me less efficiency..

Is this true? Do I need more watts? Will I need less? (My GPU is Gigabyte 980ti extreme non-water cooled drawing 250W each)

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX

Which one? There's a big difference between the EVGA G2 and the NEX650G1.

will be an overkill and give me less efficiency..

Unless power is unreasonably expensive to the point that a couple % difference is something to worry over, it's not worth even acknowledging that there is an efficiency difference.

What does the build look like?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

The G2 forgot to specify oops.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/BxffJx

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend at least a G2 850

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

That would cover me well when I go to an SLI upgrade?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

850? Yes

If you want to overclock CPU and GPU and sli I recommend 1000w

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks mate :)

Just one thing, would the 750 be able to overclock the GPU and CPU as the list is? With one GPU.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

As others have mentioned you need at least an 850 watts PSU if you are planning on adding a second 980ti for SLI. THe EVGA G2 850 is a nice unit.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

The GPU will only draw the power it needs. While it will suffer very slightly by not being in the optimum point on the efficiency curve, the hit to your power bill will really by minuscule anyway.

for SLI 980Ti go 850 watts. EVGA G2, Corsair RMi / RMx are all solid options

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube