add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wattage accuracy

Boith
  • 49 months ago

Hello fellow pc enthusiasts. I recently saved up enough side or spare cash to build an editing and gaming rig. My system would include the following -i7 5820k, maybe overclock to 3.7-4.2 ghz, depending on how well I do in the chip lottery -dual gtx 980 ti Strix cards, might overclock from 1.22 ghz to 1.35-1.4ghz, again depending on luck -16gb ddr4 2400 And a few other accessories like a cd and blu Ray drive So, my question is this. What sort of power draw would I be able to expect when this system is under load? Or overclocked? I've heard that pcpartpicker doesn't always take things into account that it should, like maxwell cards and their weird power consumption. I don't know if I'll overclock the 980 tis. Probably not, they're already beastly enough, but you never know. If you need any other details, let me know. I'll provide the link to the build if needed. Hope to see some responses, I hear the community on this site is pretty good. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd say to leave yourself a nice amount of wattage headroom, by multiplying what's on PCPP (750W in your case) by 1.5. That returns you around 1000W, so I'd suggest anywhere from 850W to 1000W.

I did look at the part list, and I've just got a few suggestions for you:

• Considering you're spending $2.5K on this rig, you should really get an SSD. It'll help OS bootup and program loading times.
  • The RM series is getting old. Consider the RMx, RMi, HXi, or AXi if you like Corsair specifically. If you don't care what brand, I suggest you look into a G2/P2 from EVGA or a Seasonic G/X.
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I've been looking into a couple of pci ssds. Heard there's a difference between that and SATA. I suppose it would be wise of me to change the psu. The rm sounds like a nice unit, but I'll look around a bit. Thanks for quick reply as well!

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Also the 1000 watt RM isn't what I would call a good psu, its ripple suppression is on par with budget units on the 12V rail..

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

How did it end up in features and requests? Huh.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube