add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

980 ti amp extreme spacing concerns

Boith
  • 49 months ago

Hello. A friend of mine is currently choosing the gpus for his soon to be gaming pc. He's planning on putting 2 zotac 980 ti amp extreme edition cards in sli. However, he's a bit concerned about the cooling, as the extreme editions are 3 slot and on any normal motherboard the two cards would be sandwiched. He asked me if moving the second card down to the third x16 slot would help. I think it will, but I want to clarify. Also, he plans to use the rig for lan parties, so the rig needs wifi. He found a pci wifi card he plans to install in between the two gpus. Would this screw up airflow? Thanks for the help in advance. Also, if someone could tell me how to move posts to their appropriate section in topics, that'd be nice (I only recently started using this section of the site.

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

What motherboard is he looking at.

Aside from that grab a solid 2 slot design that can overclock just as well such as the Gigabyte G1 gaming.If he is set on a board with no spacing. In daily use they will boost to around the same sort of level as the Zotac anyway depending on the quality of the chip, or can be manually over clocked.

You do usually want a gap with after market cards (and even reference design's really), moreso with ones in which the shroud is closed around part of the edges such as this model as most air is sucked in from the fans (unlike the slightly more open designs on the EVGA and MSI model for example). Having no space will usually result in the top card getting very hot and hitting a thermal limit. Was a problem on a similar HOF card which is a 3 slot design with the top card I saw. Also a thread with users experience: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2828327/zotac-980ti-amp-extreme-sli.html suggests temps 20 degrees hotter with no space.

If he did get a motherboard which allows more spacing, usually X99, but I believe there is a few select z170 boards set up like that also, then the Zotacs should be fine provided case air flow is decent.

Most Wi-Fi cards are usually thin and small enough, and while you would not be doing yourself any favours, it should not massively impact the upper card.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, he's already purchased an msi x99a sli plus. He was looking into the zotac because he's not a particularly interested in overclocking anything. He thinks it's difficult, although I think this mobo makes things easier with gui stuff. And this particular card is faster than a titan x in benchmarks and games by a pretty large margin. The wifi card is one of those high end asus cards. It's a bit bigger than usual, but it shouldn't affect much. I also learned that he's got a case with side air intakes, so that should help a bit with keeping the cards cool.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Looking at the manual although for two that they suggest using the 1st and 2nd x 16 slots, he should be fine to use the 3rd long x 16 slot which will leave him with 1 gap, which by the sounds of it will be filled with the Wireless card.

Having said that, he may need to turn up the fans slightly for the top card to lower the temperatures to keep them cards going at a high boost. But of course will have to wait and adjust the fan profiles once he has them and the side fan should of course help.

Sadly Titan X's do not have a good showing due to the ref cooler and the immature drivers at the time. They can overclock just very well more so once you cool them / turn up the fan profiles enough at which stage they will handily outpace 980Tis but that a separate matter and for most still not worth the money. Besides 2 x 980Ti's with after market coolers is pretty beastly.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

True. I wish Nvidia would've allowed for custom Titan coolers. That'd make one truly god like GPU. I looked at that motherboard's manual, and with a 5820K installed, the first three slots run at x8 bandwidth.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-06gp44996kr

How about two of these? Good width for SLI and still a decent factory OC so he doesn't need to worry too much about overclocking, and I suspect these might perform even better in a multi-gpu config in the event that the Zotac models might throttle. Nearly $100 less too since he's buying two.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I could talk to him about that. He still likes the amps, even though I've showed him other options like STRIX cards. I hear those are quite beastly cards. The only issue is with memory cooling as far as I can tell. And no one seems to be complaining about sli temperatures.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

If he needs wifi and the space is a hassle, simply acquire a motherboard with integrated wifi instead.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

That's not easy with x99... most motherboards are designed with enthusiasts in mind, not lan partiers.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

True.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Technically, yeah they are. But because of the way the slots are positioned, the cards are still treated like 3 slot cards. Still can't believe how large that cooler is.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube