add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Motherboard for a 21-display Video Wall

tgurus
  • 80 months ago

Hey Guys-

I am talking with several different Video Card makers and Video Wall PC VARs (such as Digital Tigers and 9xMedia) but I wanted to get some input from "outside their boxes"

What would be the best motherboard for our situation?

We would like to build a machine capable of outputting to 21 displays (3 across, 7 tall) with each display getting its native 1920x1080 resolution... we want to be able to play video (most likely H.264 since it has pretty low overhead). We will also want to do 4K camera capture (BlackMagicDesign) as well as HDMI capture and BluRay playback.

If we run into issues doing full resolution, we'll settle for playback of 5760 x 3240 (3x3 displays)

Money is not an object.

If anyone has any experience or opinions on this it would be much appreciated!

Comments

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Your probably going to want something on the extreme side, I would talk to nvidia first about your graphics card solutions then choose the motherboard.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

i told them to get grid. its the only thing i know of that can handle it

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

grid?

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

grid is nvidias solution for high powered gpu rendering. it consist of part of server quality and goes way beyond the capabilities of a normal computer. after seeing the cpu side of your question. the 9x company looks to be like you best starting point to finding out what you need for your prodject.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

ok yeah, checking it out but grid seems more geared toward cloud gaming... isn't Tesla what we'd want for local GPU boost?

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

grid is still in development im not sure if they are able to utilize the total gpu power for one purpose. btw have you considered projector setup? is this setup for a single display made out of multiple monitors or for multiple displays of different screens? is resolution is what your looking for there are a few options. you can combine one or more projectors into one screen and even imax has recently opened its doors for the consumer market. they now offer home installation of their imax projector, and theater setups.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

There are actually quite a number of otpions. Based on your need for flexibility in connectivity and expansion as well as long term reliaiblity I would recommend a WS orirented type motherboard. With a display option coming from Matrox.

The boards would vary depending on your maximum needs in regards to expansion.

ASUS P9X79 WS ASUS P9X79-E WS ASUS X79 Deluxe

There are other options as well including

ASUS Z87 WS

I think any of these would be great options to consider for your what you are looking for.

For the graphics card I would recommend looking into the MURA MPX series from Matrox which are designed for Video Wall usage and offer extensive testing as well as carefully developed software suite and application functionality for this type of usage model.

Hope this helps.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, AI

I will take a look at those WS boards.

Been through the Mura MPX specs with Matrox though and they say that although this is their only series that can hit the number of displays we need from a single machine, that the bus architecture on the MPX boards is optimized for video throughput via an input on another MPX board and not internally generated graphics, so essentially for use on a video wall processor, rather than the machine that actually serves up the video.

Let me know if you think the "tech" I talked to is not quite up to speed though and maybe we should try to talk to a more qualified "engineer" over there.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah these seems a little off as they have validated configurations the other this functionality the main reason why i recommended MPX was due to the advanced software management. You can also do this with AMD or Nvidia based cards but the multi monitor display configuration control may not have the advanced functionality you are looking for. I have only setup up to 10 panels so can communicate whether HydraVision or Nvidia tools will allow for the customization and configuration you need.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube