add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Considering re-capping a PSU. Cx600. Need help selecting caps.

tiny_voices
  • 49 months ago

So, I want to start a new project. I want to re-cap a CX600. I have a CX600 non-M circa 2012-2013 sitting around. These are not bad PSUs. They actually perform quite well, but as we all know and see all too frequently, the capacitor selection is not great and causes them to suffer from having a shorter lifespan and MAYBE slightly less performance than otherwise.

This seems like a good base for the project. A decently well build and performing unit that is simply help back by capacitor selection.

I have the necessary equipment and experience to do this, that is not an issue. I am no stranger to soldering or working with electronics.

What I need help with is which caps specifically need to be replaced and which ones to replace them with.

I have sent Orion a PM as he is VERY knowledgeable about all this but he is not here too frequently so I'm looking for any help from anyone who knows what they are talking about.

I'm assuming I want to replace the primary, and the majority of the secondary caps.

I can buy from DigiKey or Mouser.

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I take it you are just trying to replace the caps the grant a longer life and better performance as the caps degrade. In that case simply look for capacitors of the same type and specifications from Japanese manufactures such as Nippon, Panasonic, Rubycon, Hitachi, and a few others.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I will probably go with all United Chemi-Con (Nippon). The plan is to build a Cx600 the way it should have come form the factory and then use it in my system.

So probably a handful of caps on the secondary side and the single primary.

I would like any help possible with getting the correct caps for the job. I can get to the point of selecting the right uf and voltage and all but caps have ALOT more specs and I want to make sure I get this right. I really just need an experts help with determining which caps to replace and which to replace them with. Like replace that cap with this part number.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Finding someone at that level might be tough. I think your best bet is to determine the specification of the caps you want to replace, and they try and match them as exactly as possible.

Short of that and not having the equipment to test the PSU out after you could run into problems. Oklahoma Wolf tried this years ago and found that with what should have been better caps all around he got worse ripple.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDArticles&file=print&ndar_id=8

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems like he used some incorrect caps. "It is likely that the new caps are somewhat different performing in circuit than the originals."

This is what I am worried about, to be honest.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

That's why you would have to go spec for spec for each cap you plan on replacing. If you can't find the exact specifications on what you are trying to replace you are going to be left guessing.

Have you opened up the CX600 and tried to identify all the caps yet?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

No I haven't yet.

I REALLY don't want to guess on anything. I would like this to not fail and fry my PC. Kinda starting to look like this might not be very feasible.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

You could pm Philip and pick his brain. He may be able to give you a couple of tips on cap specs

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Open up a better capped PSU and take a look inside, it will probably give you some ideas on what works best and where

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

So you've got the CX600 V2?

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I believe that is correct. It could be V3 though.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

are you going to do before and after performance also before and after pictures.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't do performance because I don't have thousands of dollars of equipment. I might not do it for this reason. Mainly because I can't verify if it is safe.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

It's possible to pick up some equipment for decent prices if you're willing to buy used and take some chances.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Not interested honestly. I'm starting to think about ditching this project.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

It sounds fun though. The choice you have to make though is, are you willing to risk all the money.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I would try it on a junk PC first if I were to do it.

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Should be an interesting project if I can get the info I need.

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I stated in the first post that I would be getting chemi-cons

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube