add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair fans: performance or silent?

hayhay7789

45 months ago

Hi guys, I've finished putting together a new PC build with a Z97 Anniversary board from ASRock, an i5 4690k, and 8GB of DDR3 RAM, all tucked inside an NZXT S340. I've been thinking of buying some new case fans from Corsair to replace the ones that came with the case, but I'm not too sure which ones I should get. I can either buy two AF120 "Performance Edition"s in a dual pack to put in the 120mm and 140mm slot (the case came with 2 120mm case fans) or I can get an AF120 Performance/Quiet and an AF140 Quiet edition. The thing I'm not sure about is the difference between the Performance and Quiet edition, as well as the fan size difference in the top slot. Is it worth buying Quiet editions to get that extra 20mm out of one of the fans, or should I just get the dual pack of Performance 120mms? Is there a huge difference in cooling power between the two editions? I will be OCing in the future.

Thanks for the help guys!

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Avoid Corsair fans in general since they really aren't the best. I see that you are going to get a 240MM AIO so just use the stock fans for that. What is your budget for fans?

I will be OCing in the future.

I hate to break this to you but that motherboard really isn't going to be good for overclocking a i5 4690K due to a weak VRM heatsink and a low power phase count, It was made in mind to be a cheap motherboard to overclock the Pentium G3258 which is why it has the word Anniversary in it. I wouldn't recommend overclocking on it and if you do you aren't going to be getting far.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair enough. I don't plan to extreme overclock to 10.3GHz, maybe up to 4 or 4.5 if this mobo could handle it. Budget for fans? 100 bucks, preferably, but I can go higher, I guess, if it's REALLY necessary. What do you have in mind?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

$100 worth of fans to replace stock fans in a $60 case that only has 4 fan slots? priorities man, priorities.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

100 bucks is the highest I want to go. I'm not looking to spend $50 a fan, lol, but if it comes down to it, 100 is the highest i will go

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

yet and still, up to $100 worth of fans on a case little more than half the price probably isn't a worthwhile purchase. how much can the temps or airflow possibly improve? airflow relies on fan blade design, resistance and rpm, impacting noise levels (noise level goes up) for marginal gain on internal case temps. just get two 140 mm fans (140's move more air than 120's and do so with less noise/rpm) for the front intake and leave the ones that come in the case alone. be quiet pure wings are a good choice. best mix of premium build quality, low noise and good price.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube