add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Choices, choices....

Ricceaux
  • 49 months ago

I'm still trying to tweak my build with the best bang for my buck... pretty much like everyone else here.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ricceaux/saved/#view=MDNrxr

I do believe that a premium PSU is critical, so I am looking at platinum grade products.

I started out with the Corsair HX750i; it got all 10s with JonnyGuru review except for value where he gave it an 8. However, his score was based on a $170 price; I got it for $95 with MIR.

Then it was suggested that I swap that PSU for an EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W; I was able to purchase that item for $110. Was this a wise move? I know the EVGA is a quality product, but is it that much better?

So right now I own two PSUs... but I have Newegg premium, so return is not a problem. BUT...... if I can get the Corsair HXi 1000i for $140, would that be an even better swap.... or would the 1000i be too much? I will probably have a maximum of 2 GPUs in the future.

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points
  • don't need 80+ platinum psu, in fact Corsair's 80+ gold RMi/RMx series are improved, that's better in every way except marginal 1.1% lower efficiency, versions of the HXi units. and i can name some 80+ platinum psus worse than $50 mid range 80+ gold stuff, so efficiency alone mean nothing against the psu's quality.

• you are looking at psus that are hundreds of watts more than what you need for this build. even with a second GTX970 this build is a 550 watt max draw on the X99 platform.

• the EVGA psu beats the Corsair on warranty length and warranty terms (transferable, doesn't require you to keep a record of purchase with your name on it to get RMA service) but otherwise there isn't a world of difference and the corsair will be quieter overall and over the length of time you own the thing.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thanks. I'll skip the 1000i that's on sale.... and I now realize I probably should have asked this question the day the EVGA was on sale! LOL ... It's the damndest thing how I keep learning things with the same caveat: "try better impulse control next time" .... Ha! And thanks again!

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

you're overthinking this, they are all great psus that are excelant in every metric.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Overthinking? Naaaa.... LOL. I do think perfectionism just might be a little bit of a character flaw... but there I go thinking again! Ha!

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

It was a suggestion from someone who reviewed my build... and when I saw it was available for $110, I figured it was worth an extra $15. I am a rookie at this, so I trusted the advice. No other reason.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube