add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Case design

Randon_Guy

45 months ago

Why aren't more cases designed to accommodate 200mm fans?

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

A few factors I can think of.

The size of the fan means that unless it is a cube case or gigantic, the only place to put a fan that large would be the side panel, which means less or no window to look at the components. 120 or 140 mm fans fit more places and if high quality can provide very effective and quiet cooling.

Another reason might be performance characteristics, as larger fans are generally better for moving large volumes of air with slow moving blades, but do not develop high static pressure unless run at high speeds and thus higher noise levels. The power required for those speeds can grow quite rapidly, and cases may not make effective use of the high flow of the large fan if the pressure ratios never let it move that much air. Giant cases with balanced 200 mm fans on intake and exhaust would help the pressure problem. However, this would introduce a dust problem unless the fans were well filtered, restricting them yet again.

Unless high performance and in special applications, 200 mm fans fall under "awesome but impractical" for most system builds.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Hi Randon_Guy,

I have a full tower case with two 200mm fans in the front running at 800rpm. My GPU is air cooled and its fans seldom come on when gaming. Depends on the game. I have two 140mm on a top rad for the CPU. The system is quite and works great. When I first got it I had to load test it to make sure my GPU fans worked. There are filters all around and the inside stays clean. A really well balanced system.

My last case was a full air cooled mid-case with a 200mm front fan and a 200mm top fan. It ran cool and quite. You just need a 9" wide case and 200mm is a very workable fan size. Their purpose is to move large volumes of air at slow speed and they do that in spades. If you want air cooled. 200mm is the way to go.

Frank

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

What case do you use?

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Thermaltake V71. If you don't use a rad at the top you can have two 200mm fans but you loose the top optical drive position. The case comes with two front 200mm and one top 200mm. I removed all of the drive bays so the two front fans have a clear path to the GPUs.

Frank

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube