add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

USB 3.1 Onboard Connectors for MSI Z170A GAMING M7

Rodsman

45 months ago

Ok, so very new to PC building and still planning my first attempt. I plan on getting the above listed motherboard which has 2 onboard USB 2.0 connectors and 2 USB 3.1 connectors. I have a few questions regarding this so please stay with me: 1) specs for the motherboard state that the USB 2.0 connector can support up to 4 additional ports and I don't quite understand that? 2) I plan on using a Phateks Luxe case and it has 2x USB 3.0 and 2x USB 2.0 connectors from the front panel. Can anyone with that case tell me if those connectors will take up all the USB headers on this mobo or is the wiring split so that only one connector goes into a single 2.0 and 3.1 header? I looked at the manual for the case but it doesn't make it clear, at least to me ; and 3) the reason I'm asking is that I am an avid photographer and part of my build will be used for Photoshopping very large files. One card reader I've found which has received great reviews connect through a USB 3.1 connector and so you see my issue? I'd like to get that card reader but I need to make sure that I will have at least one 3.1 header open? I hope this makes sense and would greatly appreciate some clarification on this. Folks have been great on this forum answering what are probably very basic and at times silly questions but hey, I have to start someone where. Thanks.

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

1: 2 USB ports on the case are combined into one cable. So, 2 mobo headers will support 4 usb ports on your case because each mobo connector will handle 2 usb ports. I was confused about this too before I asked. 2: With the Enthoo, you will use up 1 USB 2.0 and 1 USB 3.0 connectors on your mobo. 1 of each will be left opem. 3: No problems here! You will have one connector open on mobo for this!

Hope I explained clear enough!

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Great. Thanks so much. Simplest things can be confusing but I was hoping that would be the answer.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, no problem!

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Edit:

My mistake thought it was gigabyte board

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube