add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CABLE MANAGEMENT

Sherdy55

45 months ago

Hey guys, for a long time ive always wondered how the heck people manage to get the fan cables (from coolers) to be "hidden". Every build ive seen, people have like 3 fans from the radiator and 2 or 3 case fans and somehow they manage to hide the wires. Do they connect them all to one wire? Is the wire routed behind the fans? WHAT DO THEY DO?!

Second Question- Ive also seen people with like 7 fans in their build. Do motherboards support that many fans?

Third Question- In small cases people have a lot of parts (ssd, hdd, FANS, and other stuff). How do they manage to keep all the wires hidden from sight? Is there like a magic cable management trick which I'm not aware of???

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Could be fan extensions, fan hubs, or that they just blend in.
  2. The average one doesn't, they use a fan hub.
  3. I'm not sure what you're talking about. Link to an example?
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean the fan cables coming out a 3 fan radiator hold up ill try to find some pics

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds good.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, they simply rotated the fan so the cable comes out on the side closest to the motherboard.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

what do you mean?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

There's a corner of fans that the cable comes out. The fan can be put in any orientation, so what people tend to do is turn it so that corner is closer to the motherboard, and then the cable is therefore more out of sight.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I have 6 fans but they are not all plugged individually into the motherboard.

2 Radiator fans I'm not sure about all liquid coolers but for my Corsair H110i GT the radiator fan power comes from the CPU pump. Since the hoses from the CPU pump go to the radiator and the fans get their power from the CPU pump, I routed the two radiator fan power wires behind the rad hoses (which hides them nicely) all the way to the radiator. I used zip ties which I did not cinch up too tight (you don't want to crimp the hose obviously).

4 Case Fans My 4 case fans run to a fan hub which sits behind the motherboard. An additional wire then connects the fan hub to the motherboard (to control speed). In my case the fan hub gets its power directly from the power supply using a molex (I think). As others have mentioned when you install a fan you can "orient" the fan frame to adjust the amount of fan power wire heading in some direction you need. In my case I always had plenty of wire to reach the fan hub. Sometimes I rotated the fan frame to "draw in" some of the wire because I had plenty to reach my destination.

If you look at my build you can see the zip ties hiding the radiator fan power wires behind the rad hoses.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I see what you saying. BTW in pic 29 of your build is that the fan hub? If so can control the fans from there? Is there any software of something? Thanks

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Picture 29 is the NZXT IU01. That allows me to add USB 2.0 headers to the motherboard (basically I use 1 USB 2.0 header on the motherboard to expand to 3 with the IU01). My Corsair radiator and PSU each need a USB 2.0 header. This allows me to connect them both and still have USB 2.0 header available for other things. The CorsairLink software allows me to control the radiators fans, pump speed, pump LEDs and the PSU fan. I cannot control the chassis fans with CorsairLink.

Picture #3 shows the fan hub on the case box (look on the right side of the box). Picture #1, #20 (and others) show how I hid the radiator fan wires behind the hose

Picture #24 is the fan hub; it's the tiny circuit board dead center in the picture. If you look closely you'll see the 4 chassis fans connected on the right. The PWM wire is the top of the circuit board (on the top left) and that's the only one that goes to the motherboard chassis fan header. My motherboard came with proprietary software called A-Tuning. Among other things A-Tuning allows me control over the chassis fans but it's imperfect control. First my chassis fan speeds are not reported it just says 0rpm. I can tell that they are spinning though so the speed is clearly not 0. I suspect that the fan header is incapable reporting the average of all the chassis fans so basically it says nothing. I can create a profile in ATune and I can speed all of the chassis fans up as measured against temperature. Basically I can create a graph of chassis fan % (voltage I assume) vs. temperature. If I change the graph I can make the chassis fans speed up or down. Since I can't see the RPMs directly I can hear them running faster. I'm not particularly bothered by this right now (I can keep the rig quiet). If I wanted more control over the chassis fans I might consider a NZXT GRID+ V2.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

THANK YOU!!!! It all makes sense now...

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Most PC building guides recommend lots of careful planning beforehand to figure out the most efficient and organized cable layout for a rig.

That's probably good advice, but if you're a person like me who is very impatient and terrible at planning ahead, you just jam parts in and route cables with reckless abandon. Once everything is in functional order, realize how there's absolutely no visual order to found. Undo everything, redo it a little better. Repeat this until you achieve the desired level of cable organization.

I imagine a large part of it is gaining experience and developing a "cable management instinct" as you build more. As inelegant as my process is, it gives me a lot of practice and I have improved a lot since I started building.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

How do you do it in a case without that?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube