add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thermaltake V21 Standoffs issue

nitbuntu

45 months ago

Hello, I'm looking at this case and it appears that there are a couple of brass standoffs included in a bag, but the case tray itself has raised parts with screw holes that appear to act as standoffs and have the letter 'M' next to them, as shown here: http://www.nikktech.com/main/images/pics/reviews/thermaltake/core_v21/thermaltake_core_v21_32.JPG

Am I right in thinking that, as long as every fixing hole on the motherboard has an equivalent raised screw hole on the case tray, then I just need to screw the motherboard on to these and ignore the two included standoffs in the bag?

My motherboard is as follows: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5491#ov

I noticed that the motherboard actually has 7 screw holes, whilst the case tray has 8 raised bits. So, do I just leave one of the raised standoffs unscrewed?

The 8 raised standoff elements can be seen here: http://cdn.overclock.net/2/2f/2f53e9cc_DSC_0008.jpeg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I think those are spare standoffs just in case the other ones get lots or something happens.

The 8th standoff it probably just for those motherboards that have an weird layout. Most of the time, all the mobo are built to industry standard so they fit in the cases, but sometimes there's a motherboard out there with something slightly different, but it still fits.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

So should I cover the eighth standoff with electrical tape as suggested by 'yutang' below?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, you don't have to ,but if it doesn't hurt to spend the extra 2 seconds putting the tape on, then Id say go for it, to be on the safe side.

Btw, how's the case? Good?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

It's looks to be a good case. Feels pretty solid, yet very flexible. But hey, I've got nothing to compare it to since this is my first build! :)

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

That motherboard seems to a bit quirky as a normal Matx board has a screw hole in the top right corner whereas this one does not and there is a raised bit for it. Depending on what is on the other side of the board it could cause a short but just to be safe you could put some electrical tape over the raised bit to insulate the two.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube