add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

difference between EVGA G2 vs GS

stabbermcshanky
  • 49 months ago

Im looking at power supplies for this build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3RxjP6 and so far I'm choosing between a G2 650w or 750w vs GS 650w. I've been trying to understand powersupplies and what the voltages and things like that mean but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

PSUs http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Modular-Crossfire-Warranty-210-GQ-0650-V1/dp/B017HA3SQ8/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1458503682&sr=1-5&keywords=650w+psu

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

My specialty. :)

Keep in mind that the 550 and 650 GS is made by Seasonic based on a variation of the "G" series. The G2 is made by Super Flower based on the Leadex Gold.

jonnyguru.com GS 650 Review

jonnyguru.com G2 650 Review

Just by looking at the review, you can obviously tell that the G2 is much better than the GS from a performance standpoint. While looking at the value side of things, neither of them have great value. I know sounds weird. The 550 and 650 G2 don't have great value because of the 7 year warranty. The 750w+ models have a 10yr warranty for only a bit more. With the G2, you get better performance, and better value. The only GS worth buying is the 1000w model.

Tom's Hardware charts might be a bit easier to understand

I also like techpowerup's more indepth reviews

Things get really complicated with the GS when the GQ comes in. The GQ is made by FSP, but that is still not as good as the G2. Still good quality and is just about equal with the GS.

I urge you to spend the extra few $$$ to get the G2. IF not, go with the GQ.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

pretty much. though I'd only look at the GQ if it's cheaper (which it usually is). the GS is at least fully modular and is more compact in size than the GQ.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

The GQ also goes on sale more often from what I see.

The only downside is not having a 550w variant.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

can't understand why they went 650/750. see the performance on the 750 falls off to the point of sucking in some areas, just like the aurum gold platform.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

I saw that too. I expected performance to be similar to the 850.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

the 850 and 1000 watt GQ use a better platform.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

A 650 watts PSU would be more than fine for this build and the EVGA G2 (made by superflower)is a much better unit compared to EVGA GS (made by seasonic). It also has a better warranty.

The link you have there is for the GQ which would also be fine for your build but is inferior compared to the G2.

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, 10 years.

No its not..

http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/power-supplies/

The EVGA G2 650 has a Y1 suffix so it only has a seven year warranty. The 750 watts G2 which has an XR suffix is the one with 10 years.

But you've gotta register the PSU on the EVGA website within ~30 days or so,

Also wrong.. That only applies to suffix KR, GR and V1.

check under

Standard Warranty Exceptions

Im pretty sure you read that somewhere (like to believe jonnyguru.)

Warranty is reduced to 3 years if you don't have a valid proof of purchase

for owners that do not have a valid proof of purchase than the warranty is available for up to 3 years

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Dont worry! :) it happens to most of us (including me big time!)

[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

grab the G2.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

G2 uses better quality parts and i think has a better warranty

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

The G2, GQ, and GS are all good supplies.

That being said, the G2 is outstanding. If I remember correctly, there are no gold-rated PSUs that outperform it. Even higher 80-rated PSUs generally only beat it by their efficiency.

The G2 is a Super Flower OEM, the GS is Seasonic G, and the GQ is FSP.

• 49 months ago
  • 0 points

I'm guessing this build is for gaming and I would go with the G2 for sure.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $196.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $96.49 @ Newegg
Memory Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $37.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $40.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.00 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $329.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case $114.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive *LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer $13.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $36.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1013.18
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-22 10:47 EDT-0400

It has a better cpu, a ssd, and I saved money.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube