add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ASRock X99 & Noctua NH-D15 Cooler Size [Help]

Alvea

46 months ago

Hello, I have a bit of an issue. I'm going to be buying my PC parts this friday, and today went through some check ups. The only issues I'm a little worried about now is if my cooler of choice will fit in my motherboard with no problems and without extending over the first PCI-E x16 slots. I checked compatibility here on the website and it said there were none, yet when I check the main website of Noctua ( Here: http://noctua.at/en/sip_productcompatibilitynew/productcompatibility/modelcompatibility/mid/2869/manid/37 )

It says it extends over my PCI-E slots. Which I need. I'm a bit confused, any suggestions ? Should I just get the Noctua NH-D15S Instead? Or is the D15 alright to go ahead and get?

My build :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $351.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15S 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $79.50 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $174.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $129.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $87.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $429.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $119.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $119.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Superclocked Video Card $1061.49 @ Adorama
Case Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case $145.44 @ Mac Mall
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $189.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan $19.80 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan $21.80 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2972.83
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $2932.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-23 20:46 EDT-0400

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Get the D15S.

The compatibility checker here is looking for the basic stuff; that it is for the socket and fits in the case. Noctua's check is more thorough, taking into account ram size & position as well as PCIe slot overhang.

Also, drop that thermal paste. The stuff you get with the Noctua cooler is top of the line.

There's also some other questions/comments on your build... But that's for another section of the forum.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I was confused on which I should go with. Appreciate the help ! Oh the Noctua Cooler has thermal paste that comes with it in the box ? Had no idea thanks !

If you have some comments and questions about my build feel free to ask if you like by private message if thats possible or just comment on this post I made a while ago if you're interested!

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/145013-opinions-on-my-semi-final-build-buying-parts-starting-march-25th

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Should I just get the Noctua NH-D15S Instead?

To add to what FH100 commented... You wont have any lost in performance using the NH-D15S. It performs exactly the same as the non S version with one fan. And you can always add another fan. Also as FH100 recommended, drop the arctic silver as the noctua thermal paste is better.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I expected it to be the same in performance but now that I looked up some videos I've been hearing its more compatible friendly. :)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly!! It even has great compatibility with mini itx motherboards..

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Get D51S. Also, any reason for the titan x? because if this is a gaming build don't waste your money on it, just get a 980 ti.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I've heard that time and time again haha, the reason I decided on getting it was because I wanted the best of the best. While 980 ti gets about the same results as the Titan X ( Idk if it does compaired to the 12gb SC Version.) " About " isn't really what I'd like to have, but AM considering ! Most certainly!

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

If you want the best, get a 980t ti, it beats the titan x in almost every game. The titan is for rendering, video editing, 3d design ect..

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's another reason why I had decided to go with the Titan X. I'll be doing a lot of rendering, video editing, 3d + 2D designing with Adobe after effects and cinema 4. Also a lot of streaming with hopefully 60+ FPS, or at least 30+.

I'll also be doing many other things as well haha :3 The kinds of games I play are mainly things like Black Desrt online , Skyrim, Blade & Soul , and many others.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Well then... get the titan x.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahaha xD probably will get it. ^

Whats your take on my processor choice ? I'm considering going for the i7 6700k from intel.

It seems to be a lot better for gaming ( my monitor : LG Electronics 34UC98 34-Inch WQHD IPS Curved LED Monitor ) and pretty nice for productivity as well. I'm considering it after hearing more opinions about it. How do you feel about it ?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't AS5, its not good and the NT1 paste that comes with the cooler is top of the line. Also just get a GTX 980 Ti or even two of them if cut back on those imo pointless black drives and just grab two 2TB barracudas instead. Also I would look into the airflow edition of the 750D which can be found for around the same price. As for the cooler you could get the D15S or a different cooler.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Great recommendation actually, the airflow edition is something I overlooked though I thought i saw something about it. I'll check it out tonight or in the morning!

Yeah I wont be buying the AS5 , i had no idea the cooler came with it's own paste up till now. Appreciate the help ! I'm consdering getting the 980's but not 100% on it just yet. I've got two days so we'll see haha :)

I'll be doing a lot of rendering, video editing, streaming, 3d + 2d Designing, etc :0

P.S I'll check out those 2TB's you recommended as well :3

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube