add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Confused about cloning a drive

edmak1804
  • 50 months ago

Ok so let me explain my situation.

My current desktop with pre-installed OEM windows 10 x64 has a 2TB hardrive.

I plan on taking that out, and putting it into a new computer as a secondary (probably dedicated for STEAM games) media drive.

(I'm also taking out the CPU and GPU for the new build) This leaves a small form factor PC with MOBO, memory and cooling inside still for later use.

The PRIMARY (C) drive on my NEW build will be on a new 120GB SSD that I have already ordered.

Later on down the road, if I want to take that small form factor pc and bring it back to life (likely as a living room media pc) by putting a new GPU, CPU and HDD inside. Will simply reinstalling windows 10 work because the OEM windows key is 'tied' to the MOBO? If not, what other steps do I need to take? Thank you in advance fellow PC ubermensch

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

If intending to actually run the OEM Windows,
With same mobo: Yes.
Different mobo: No.

Microsoft:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—...

If not running the OEM Windows but using it as non-primary drive for just data storage and such,
You can stick it any system you want.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. Yeah my main concern was somehow losing the windows licence on that original motherboard when the time comes to build off of it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube