add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for advice on my cooler

dman232

46 months ago

Hey guys!

I am just building my new rig. The cooler i bought is the cryorig h7. I have heard mixed things about it.

Can I have your opinion as to what cooler is best for my rig? I want to stay away from liquid cooling for now. Is h7 good enough? Some people have said that for me to spend so much on my rig then not get a really good cooler is silly...but i figure if the h7 is good then why not?

I may overclock in the future, but as for now I wont be. If i overclock will the h7 be fine? If i do not overclock will it be fine? I just want to get the longest time out of this pc as possible, and I know low temps contribute to this.

The links to my rig are below. For some reason i cannot link them in this box. The only thing i changed is that the PSU is now a g2 850w (for the future if i overclock and it was on sale lol)

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I also changed to the msi video card (color scheme issues lol)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

still 980 ti though

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

The H7 is a great cooler and is has the best price/performance ratio than any other air coolers. It also has a good thermal compund.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

not worth going for the noctua?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

The Noctua coolers are more expensive but I believe some do perform better than the H7. If you have the money go for the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 or the Noctua NH-D14

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

noticeably better? Like worth paying the extra 50 bucks?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends how much you are going to OC in the future. If it's a small- moderate OC, the H7 is fine.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

If noise levels are a concern then it's very worth it. If you don't mind a little buzzing, the Cryrorig is a better value.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I've heard good things about the H7. There's no reason to spend a ton on your cooler just because you've spent a lot elsewhere, if you are getting good performance; don't let peer pressure convince you otherwise. Price does not designate a coolers performance, except maybe in the broadest of strokes.

Here is a review showing the H7 hanging tough with the Dark Rock 3 and Noctua NH-U12S, as well as many other popular air and even liquid coolers. The next page shows noise performance where it does admirably as well.

You're probably gonna get some flak from the PSU Inquisition about your PSU. Just FYI.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

good advice. I guess I will stick with it.

And why do you say that about the psu lol? people have said if i have any desire to sli or liquid cool in the future, it will be what i need. Since it was on sale for the same amount as the 750w, why not?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

A lot of people on this site seem to think that 75% of all PSUs on the market are literal bombs that are going to go off the moment you plug a GPU in. The SuperNOVA NEX line gets a lot of poop from these people. In all honesty though you're likely going to be just fine with this PSU, it's been reviewed decently. I just threw that out there as a friendly heads-up. =)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol i hear that. Ive read a ton of reviews though and supposedly this psu is pretty damn decent now, up there with the seasonic and corsair. Some actually say it is better than the seasonic (due to superflower parts). Is the 850w stupid though? What i did not realize is that if i run sli and overclock ill prolly need around 1000w. Would just be really weird to go straight to 1000w with only one 980ti right now. Make me wonder if i should even go the 850 or stick to a 750 (like i said though, the 850 was cheaper so does it matter?)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm which build are we talking about. I was referencing the one you linked in your first comment, here. This one was a EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W. There are only a few entrants in the "SuperNOVA NEX" series. This is the one that I was referring to getting poo-pooed.

There are different series that are labeled "SuperNOVA" as well. A lot of these are really standup PSUs, even to the most skeptical PCPP PSU buyer (not to mention, in reviews).

Anyways, you're right. If you try to SLI with that 980 Ti, you're going to exceed capacity of the 650W PSU right there, without even attempting OCing. You'll need an 850W minimum to do that. If you're truly going to invest in SLI 980 Ti's, you should just invest in a quality 1000W PSU. Spend the extra $60ish bucks, save yourself having to buy a new PSU in the future, and give headroom to OC comfortably as well.

EDIT I misunderstood your commentary above. I see that you said you replaced the 650W with an 850W. Sorry about that, you're not even using a NEX line PSU now. My comments here still largely apply though. The 1000W G2 would be a safe and worthwhile choice, and you're better off buying the PSU you want than buying one PSU now, with the knowledge that you will need to remove it and buy a new one later (upgrading a PSU is a pain in the *** too, especially if you are tying up your cables).

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

You're fine for a nice OC when it comes to your cooler.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube