PCPartPicker

• Register

What did you think of our last live stream?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

philip 37 months ago

For our latest live stream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPNeH9MqgF4), we had a pretty sizable revamp of our studio and infrastructure. We changed some cameras, camera angles, lighting, switching equipment, you name it. It was probably the biggest studio update we've done since setting it up. If we did things right most of that would not be noticeable - it was mostly so that we can operate more efficiently while filming and to eliminate some of our previous mistakes.

If you've had a chance to watch some of it, I'd love to get your feedback. What did you like? What could be better? What would you like to see in future live content?

Comments Sorted by:

piemancoder 1 point 37 months ago

I didn't get to see it live, but I've watched some. It looks pretty good so far. I didn't get that far, so I'll update more later.

Also, 360p is the best :P

GentlemanShark 1 Build 1 point 37 months ago

It seemed a little long, but it was a livestream.

Geode1010 2 Builds 1 point 37 months ago

I seemed longer than needed...

johngerges582 1 point 37 months ago

I wasn't there for the actual stream, but I saw it now on Youtube.

I must say, I am impressed. The angles of the camera was amazing. The changes were quick, subtle, and smooth.

The background is always my favorite part. :)

ewhac 2 Builds 1 point 37 months ago

The guy running the board needs to be a little bit more on the ball. When you were trying to change the colors of the motherboard LEDs, he kept switching to the computer's desktop. (OTOH, if you've got only one guy behind the cameras who's running the board and moving cameras and setting up shots, then I'm impressed it came out as well as it did.)

You might want to have some flashlights handy so you can illuminate dark corners of the case and let viewers better see what's going on (especially with an all-black case).

I'm favorably impressed with the giant anti-static mat.

BTW: The PCI backplane cover snakes through the hole at the back -- the top of the plate is inside the case flat against the screw channels, the bottom is outside on top of the slot mounting screws.

philip staff submitter 10 Builds 1 point 37 months ago

The guy running the board was me, and yep, I needed a bit more prep prior to covering the LED switching scene. We hadn't rehearsed that, and I was trying to cover both the lighting changes and the software UI at the same time. Next time I'll set up a PiP or rehearse it so that it follows better.

We did move the lights up top around and it affected illumination in the interior of the case. We'll be addressing that tomorrow. Side shot lighting has always been a challenge in a live stream, but I think we have a good plan to address that in the next one too.

[comment deleted]
philip staff submitter 10 Builds 1 point 37 months ago

It's a Snap-on ratcheting screwdriver that I won in a competition... goodness - 20 years ago. Here's an equivalent one, though a different color:

http://www.amazon.com/Williams-WRS-1-Magnetic-Ratcheting-Screwdriver/dp/B002NI1LZK

(Williams is a Snap-on brand.)

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
manirelli staff 8 Builds 1 point 37 months ago

Thanks for the feedback. It took us about 2.5 seconds off camera after the stream to figure out the piece. We both face-palmed afterwards.

Airplane505 1 point 37 months ago

Was that a Surface Pro 3 on Ryan's side?

manirelli staff 8 Builds 1 point 36 months ago

Yep

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]