add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ITX mobo selection

Leg3ndary
  • 80 months ago

I'm trying to finalize a decision for the mobo on my new build. I've selected the Asrock Z87E itx. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-z87eitx Does anyone have this? Have any comments about it? Full build : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NZYU I will use this for a wide variety of purposes; gaming, 3d rendering, drafting, image editing, music recording/editing. I'm looking for this to be quick and quiet. Aesthetics are also important.

Pros: Includes latest wifi/bluetooth, pcie 3.0, has DVI connection if needed as this is the input on my monitors, 6 sata ports are more than enough only planning on using 3, 16gb ram, has an mpcie slot on the back in case there are any cool add ons in that form factor, color scheme is not obnoxious, mid price range

Cons: only 2 fan headers on board, board layout could be better- 8 pin connection and sata ports would be nice if on an edge and rotated(asus z87 deluxe), flip Z87 and wifi card? battery could be closer to IO and farther from cpu area, no higher quality sound (impact, or matx boards)

Comments

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Made a couple of adjustments. I would also reconsider the Maximus VI Impact.

The build linked comes under what you were looking at your posted build.

I would also note as you are getting an ASUS GPU with an ASUS board both support GOP/UEFI booting meaning you can have ultra fast post and boot speeds as all items can be concurrently initialized.

With the impact you will get everything you have on the ASRock except for 6 SATA ports you will have 4 and a NGFF/M.2 slot ( replacement for mSATA )

Additionally 4 fan headers fully controllable with 3pin and 4 pin support

Significantly improved audio implementation

ROG software suite including

1 year license Kaspersky AV

Full ROG Ram Disk software ( which could be very useful in situations for content creation )

Game First II packet priority software designed to help improve network performance, latency and ping. Can be tweaked for specific applications like your browser, skype or specific games

Additionally key functions

Fan Xpert II - Advanced fan control offered per header as well as offering 3 and 4 pin support. The advanced control parameters are offered in both the UEFI ( BIOS ) as well as with the OS. There are also great automatic profiling options which will automatically measure the fans for their min and max levels of operation. This allows for ideal profiling of the fans ( such as quiet or standard ) which are based specifically on your fans

USB 3.0 Boost - A feature that allows the bus protocol for transmission to be shifted to different operating modes. This can allow flash drives or high speed external devices to have much higher levels of performance.

USB Charger+ - An advanced quick charging option for mobile devices ( tablets, smartphones, eReaders etc ) It works under varied S states ( so sleep, hibernation or even with the system power off ). In addition it provides quicker charging times.

USB Bios Flashback - A specialized hardware implementation that allows for direct UEFI ( bios ) updating or recovery. It can be executed even if the system fails to power on or post. Additionally it can be executed without CPU, Memory or Graphics Card being installed. All that is required is a PSU to be connected and powered on.

1. You did not order a K series CPU as such you do not need anything really outside of even the retail cpu cooler it is cool and quiet. If you want to ensure quieter operation under load ( while also still providing downward firing airlfow for the board consider the L9I it is a great cooler which will also make airflow and layout easier.

2. Made an adjustment to memory solid quality lower in cost and equal to the density you originally selected

3. Changed the Hard drive while the black series offers slightly better performance you have a primary SSD it will do little to impact your overall day to day usage or even access time. As such you would be better off saving the money or investing in something else.

You could even consider do SSD caching with a small SSD and provide much better performance than what you would have with the black drive at close to the same cost.

Lastly unless you really need the extra space with the BitFenix which is a great chance I have used it you may want to consider a smaller chassis still offering expansion support and flexibility.

I would consider the Coolermaster Elite 120 or 130.

Best of luck with your build! Hope this helps.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $260.00
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler $46.51 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z87I-DELUXE Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $185.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $119.99 @ Newegg
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk Purchased For $0.00
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.98 @ Outlet PC
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card $255.66 @ Newegg
Case BitFenix Phenom Midnight Black Mini ITX Tower Case $83.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Nexus D12SL-12PWM 76.0 CFM 120mm Fan $13.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply Purchased For $80.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) Purchased For $0.00
Other Speakers Logitech Z2300 Purchased
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1094.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-19 16:43 EDT-0400
  • 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback. As far as impact goes, it's about $85 more than the asrock. I'd like the sound card, but I don't have one now, so it's not something I would miss. It is also one of the best lay outs. However, the impact and deluxe are mostly high end overclocking features, which as you noticed I won't make use of due to the CPU. Asrock also appears to have equivalent's of several of the Asus added features (things gigabyte and msi didn't)The impact also doesn't have a DVI, so if my video card is out of commission I would need an adapter to do anything. (not trying to dump on asus, my current computer has a asus mobo in it.) They just appear to not have an equal at the same price point. I didn't know that having the same GPU and mobo mfr would make booting quicker. I was also considering the EVGA760 with their 2 fan cooler.

I wasn't sure about crucial I had seen some bad reviews, but I have a search for about 10 different models from 4 mfrs, I wasn't too attached to the brand. I've added crucial to see where they stack up. I'll probably snag something on black Friday or cyber Monday.

I'm also looking at the Seagate drives, they run quite a bit cheaper than the WD.

The case was also kind of a place holder I carried over from an matx set-up. I'm leaning towards the Cubitek mini cube http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=82033&vpn=CB-MNI-B004&manufacture=Cubitek but it's not listed on this site. I like that it has cable management. I'd like to mod it for a slot optical drive and put a window in it.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Anyone else have comments on the mobo selection?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube