add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooler Incompatible?

slashbrackets

46 months ago

Hi -

I recently ordered parts for a build and it included a Cooler Master Hyper 212EVO. My motherboard is an MSI Z170A Gaming M5 LGA1151. Now the Parts Picker didn't indicate there would be any incompatibility between the two. However, the instructions for the cooler only calls out the LGA 2011, 1366, 1150, 1156, 1155, and 775. The LL51 is not listed.

Do I have a problem? Do I just follow the instructions for the 1150? I don't want to try to put a square peg in a round hole. I want compatible parts but i'm not sure if they aren't compatible really. Thoughts?

Here are my parts: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $194.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.29 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $172.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $38.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $66.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $329.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $93.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $83.98 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $39.95 @ Adorama
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1096.91
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1066.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-02 02:06 EDT-0400

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

You're totally fine

• 46 months ago
  • 3 points

Yes.

Worth expanding on it that the LGA 115x sockets all use the same die widths, which is what really matters. The physical size of the LGA 115x sockets are all consistent, so a cooler compatible with 1150 will also be compatible with 1151 and 1155. (just wanted to give a bit more insight than a simple yes/no answer)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for that explanation. I'll presume that I can just go by the instructions that are designated for 1150. That sound good?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Following the 1150 instructions should work just fine.

When I installed mine (onto an 1150 for the record), I had a tough time understanding the included instructions. I'd suggest having an online guide up and ready just in case you run into the same trouble as I did.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Spot on mate

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm installing and have run across an issue. I've made sure the x bracket that holds the cooler down onto the CPU is aligned and inserted properly. I've been following a Youtube video on how to install but the guy didn't run across this issue. All the screws go into the standoffs just fine except one, its like it's too short and i'd have to put some elbow into pushing it down to screw in. That doesn't feel right to me that it would have to be that hard. Or is it expected?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube