add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Liquid Cooling vs. Air Cooling Which one?

SomethingIDontKnow

46 months ago

I was planning on gettign a more high-end CPU cooler for my PC build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler $74.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $154.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $84.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $88.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card $335.98 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For $99.99
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $103.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $20.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $86.86 @ Amazon
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For $36.99
Case Fan Corsair CO-9050017-WLED 66.4 CFM 140mm Fan $13.49 @ Amazon
Keyboard Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard $139.99 @ Newegg
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $57.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1612.88
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1592.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-04 12:53 EDT-0400

and I was not sure whether or not to go for liquid cooling or not. I was planning on getting a higher end air cooler from Noctua, but my only complaints are the colors and possibly higher temps than liquid cooling. However, soe have recommened liquid cooling for the Intel i5-6600k for overclocking ,etc but I have a paranoia that the liquid coolant might leak or break soaking all the other components. Liquid or air for under $80, and also so that there is little to no noise. I plan on having a good airflow in my case too by adding some more fans maybe in the future.

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

i had done alot of reading when looking for information to build pc and a lot stat that do not get AIO watercooler below $100, a HIgh end air cooler will work better compare to low end AIO watercooler

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

do not get AIO watercooler below $100

Yes, and AIOs shouldn't really be considered unless you get in the 240/280mm range.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, its 240+mm watercoolers tou shouod aim for, air coolers would have pretty comparable performance to most 120mm liquid coolers.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

The Noctua NH-D15 outperforms all 240mm AIOs except the most high-end ones (that are at least twice the price)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

cost more than 96usd now but price may drop when there are newer AIO out in the market

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060016ww

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

The Lepa is the best performing in that list despite being the least expensive.

It performs on par with an h105 with less noise than an h100

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Air Cooling Pros:

-Silent

• Would depend on model though. There are pretty loud air coolers out there.

-No problems with leaking

-Cheaper

-Some air coolers are easier to install than others.

Air Cooling Cons:

-RAM Clearance. Depends on the model though.

-Some are really big and ugly

AIO Pros:

-Will work with all RAM and have no issues

-Sometimes better heat dissipation

-Looks a whole lot better than an air cooler.

-Usually there is cool software to monitor stuff. Like Corsair Link. Not really useful though.

AIO Cons:

-Some pumps are really really loud. Not all though.

-There is a small chance of leaking. Doesn't happen often though.

-Expensive. 120mm rads are useless, and you would be sacrificing looks for performance. Once you get to the 240mm and 280mm rad sizes is where it makes sense.

I'm more of an air cooling guy, but AIO's have their purpose. It would all depend on the situation. Since you want to spend around $80, then air cooling is your best option.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

A HSF/"air cooler", I hate that term really since both AIO coolers and HSF's use air to cool, is technically a liquid cooler since it works in the same way a AIO cooler does, it just relies on the heat to move the fluid instead of a pump and isn't going to leak ever unless you take a hacksaw to it.

The pros of a HSF is they usually offer better bang for your buck, usually are quieter, and will last basically forver provided you don't do anything stupid with them. For the cons their is ram clearance, some people not liking the looks and they can lose to top end AIO coolers and custom loops.

For the pros of a AIO coolers/custom loops they usually look better and take up less room, they can have better performance unless you hit the 280MM rad and upwards, and they don't have ram clearance issues.

For cons their is leaking although that almost never happens, can make more noise due to more moving parts, and the first thing to go on AIO coolers is usually the pump on a custom loop this usually isn't a problem since the pump is usually of better quality and you can swap it out if something does happen to it. They are usually of awful bang for your buck until you get to 240MM AIO coolers.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube