add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU cooler for 6700k in Node 202/RVZ02

Trav_X

46 months ago

I'm planning a Z170 ITX build, with a 6700k. I already have a 6700k, so don't ask why I want it, I know I probably won't get any overclock at all :D I just need some CPU cooler recommendations for LGA 1151 in a Node 202 or RVZ02, in case I choose those cases.

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 3 points

A C7 is about as good a cooler as you an get in this situation. But it's only rated for 95W, and the 6700K already generates 91W at stock settings. That leaves very little headroom for overclocking, especially in cases as restrictive as a Node 202 or RVZ02.

This review tests the C7 using a 4770K, which generates roughly the same amount of heat as a 6700K. The cooler has trouble keeping up with a light-moderate overclock on a test bench; in a cramped HTPC case with the slightly hotter 6700K it'll perform even worse.

If you want hyperthreading, move to a 6700(non-K) or Xeon CPU. If you want to overclock, step down to a 6600K to make room within the C7's dissipation limits. If you really want both, drop the Node 202 and go for a case with room for a larger heat sink.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-D15S/6.html

Temp results with 6700K and not another i7 with a Cryorig C7 here.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Is there any other cooler that would be good in this form factor?

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

This would be one of the best choices for this case..

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cryorig-cpu-cooler-c7

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Okay thanks, I've seen Cryorig before and they seem good, I'll be sure to check out the C7 more thoroughly :)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep its a great cooler at an excellent price!

You're welcome. :)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl9i

Low profile, quiet, and Noctua, 'nuff said.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

The NH-L9i is rated for coolers up to 65 watts TDP and the i7-6700k is a 91 watts TDP cpu so its not a good choice.

The cryorig C7 which is rated for up to 100 watts is a better choice.

• 46 months ago
  • 3 points

Kind of stupid that it would let me pair it with a 140 watt CPU, that I had on my list :P

I think we need TDP compatibility

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I think we need TDP compatibility

That would be great!

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't actually because the TDP rating is completely irrelevant. The noctua actually performs about the same in benchmarks to the C7, so why can one cool a 4790k and the other can't?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

If someone has a TDP 140 watt CPU, and they pair it with a CPU cooler that only has a TDP of 65 watts...

You get the idea.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

How about the x65 variant? Isn't that for 95 watt CPUs? I agree on the C7 though.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't that for 95 watt CPUs?

Its rated for cpu up to 84 watts but it will work fine with the i7-6700k if not overclocked. Now this cooler is around 65mm tall and wont fit inside the node 202.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

True, didn't notice that at first, thanks :) I'm not going Noctua on the build probably anyways, most of the builds I've seen in the same case usually use stuff from SilverStone, CRYORIG, or Scythe

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

How would the similar Phanteks cooler like the Phanteks PH-TC12LS_BK perform for the 6700K ?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldnt overclock with it but i would be fine at stock speeds. Phanteks doesnt give the rated tdp for this cooler but it has a 120mm fan.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

http://noctua.at/en/tdp-guide

The AMD version, NH-L9a is rated for 65 watts. NH-L9i for Intel is rated for 95 watts.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

NH-L9i for Intel is rated for 95 watts.

No its not.. While you can use it, its not the best option.

http://noctua.at/en/nh-l9i.html

The NH-L9i is a highly-compact low-profile quiet cooler designed for use in small form factor cases and HTPC environments. While it provides first rate performance in its class, it is not suitable for overclocking and should be used with care on CPUs with more than 65W TDP (Thermal Design Power).

http://noctua.at/en/nh_l9i_tdp_guidelines

Over 65 watts there is always a catch. No need to use that cooler if there is one that has a higher tdp rating. Remember the 6700k is a 350 bucks cpu, no need to risk that much money if there is one that will provide adequate cooling.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you look at the link? The TDP guide says 95 watts.

Looks like Noctua is contradicting itself :P

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like Noctua is contradicting itself :P

They dont.. They just expect you to take other measures as it has a see detailed guide next to it.

95W (see detailed guide)

You would need very good ventilation inside the case and low ambient temps. Pretty sure that in hot places during summer things wont look as fine as they paint them to be. Like i said if there is a similar solution like the C7 which is even cheaper and rated for up to 100 watts tdp, i dont see the need to cool a 91 watts tdp that cost around 350 bucks with a more expensive cooler that IMO wont provide required cooling. If the noctua was the only option well, what can we do...Now i love noctua, my cooler and all my fans are noctua but im a little square. :)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

This is why we need TDP compatibility :P

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly!

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't get those! Use the dan-a4 sfx instead, its coming out end of April!

dan-cases.com

and btw the cryorig c7 is great for its size.

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

But its sooo worth it!

Its fits in a backpack with easy, its the size of an a4 peice of paper

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

what about it?

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • -2 points

hyper 212x or dark rock pro3 or master air maker 8

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Those don't fit, which is why I specified Node 202 or RVZ02

• 45 months ago
  • -1 points

noctua makes a low profile high preformance cooler

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube