add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AM3+ mobo to begin overclocking

l13199l
  • 80 months ago

looking to overclock my fx-6300, it's going to be my first time overclocking, and i will likely be doing it with a 212 EVO. from what i've read, I could hit 4.3-4.5GHz but i know that some mobo's are better than others at helping to hit different ranges of speeds. I was originally looking at the http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga990fxaud3

Im not looking to go over this price and a cheaper ATX board would be great

Comments

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

I overclocked my FX-6300 to 4.4ghz on the Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3. I followed Jayz tips for overclocking the FX series, and it's going smooth with a 212 evo.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

wow, i read that pretty much any mobo can overclock but they are limited by the VRM's of the mobo and some only let you change the voltage a tiny bit which seemed to be the biggest factor, im looking for an ATX board, m-ATX just feels too small, do you think i could get a similar OC on this board? http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970ad3

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it's Gigabyte, it probably uses the same firmware, and it's newer. So really, I think you're limited by your fans. If you wanted to overclock to around the 4.8 area, watercooling would be the way to go. But if you got that board with your fans, I'm sure you could get it up to 4.4-4.5ghz

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i currently have 3 120mm fans, but im doing a small upgrade and getting a new mobo, case, a 212 EVO and 2 more fans. the case is going to be a corsair 300r, and ill have a fan config of 1 rear 120mm exhaust, 2 top 140mm exhaust and 2 front 120mm intakes.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube