add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

High-quality, quiet fans for this build

yavor7

76 months ago

I know "quiet" and "high cooling performance" are usually mutually exclusive but I figured there has to be some kind of happy medium. Price is not much of an issue, I'm willing to spend some dough for quiet but performing fans.

As a bonus, I'd love to get something in black or black and red, but this really isn't a must at all.

This is the build, I think it would make most sense to get 3x 140mms.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/yavor7/saved/2wXM

Thanks.

P.S. Also, should I be replacing the stock h100i fans?

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 2 points

Ive heard lots of great things about the SP and AF Corsair fans. the stock H100i fans are ok for now but you'll notice that they can get a bit noisey I would recommend attaching some AF120s to the rad

• 76 months ago
  • 3 points

ACtually, if your buying them for the rad you should get the SP's which stand for surface pressure, and they mill be able to push more air through the radiator. If they are just regular intake/ exhaust fans, then get AF's. That's exactly what I did for my build.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks guys, i'm going to check these out! i'll need two for the h100i and 3 regular ones (sine the case comes with 2 already and they seem to be pretty decent)

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

*static pressure, don't know if that's what you meant. They are much better than the AF series fans at radiator applications, I agree.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I thought

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

weird because i watched a LinusTechtips vid and he said AFs belong on rad.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

no, AF stands for AirFlow, these are for unobstructed use. SP are for static pressure, and are for rad use. I'm pretty sure you misunderstood Linus, he's pretty good :)

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah turns out he mentioned SP fans for rad use, and AF for best air flow through case. Thanks for pointing that out, i wouldn't want to ruin your build with false info.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

no worries, it was an honest mistake, we all make those :) thanks for your input!

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a link for that, because it certainy doesn't seem sensible, but I'll ask around on other forums. That video may have been out before SP's existed.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

why is it not sensible? you don't need a link to Linus, just go to Corsair's site. Even looking at the fans makes sense, no? SP have much wider fins and less angled to restrict air 'escape', while AF are very thin and angled to maximize air move but won't perform as well if there's an obstruction.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

try this one, might not be the one i'm thinking of but really you can just check it on Corsair's site (sorry i can't access that at work for some reason) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiBUsbMYRH0

BTW if you find out that i'm somehow REALLY mistaken about this, pls do let me know. But as of right now i'm 99% convinced AF is for unobstructed case use, and SP are for rads and more heavily obstructed situations.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I checked the vid, i got the two mixed up

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Got it.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want really quiet fans that are really good for coolers, the Noctua NF-F12s are amazing performers for how quiet they are. Only downside is that they're expensive, and have a tannish brown color, so it might not match your color scheme.

EDIT: Here's a link: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nff12pwm

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks. wow those things are UGLY :)

I saw this review of Corsair vs NF. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_af_sp_fans/

For my case fans, I'm definitely getting Corsair AF140 series! For the h100i, I'm torn... I might get the SP120 but with the voltage adaptor. If the NF ones looked more reasonable (at least black frame!) i would have gone that way.

I'll still keep looking around for cooler fans, but I'm leaning towards Corsair... thanks guys.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm using Corsair SP120s Quiet editions for my whole case and the H100i. I like them and even when I turn them up with the fan controller they don't produce anymore noise than a dull humming sound

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube