add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 Pro for Home File/media server

Brett0101
  • 50 months ago

Hi,

just finished new build and am considering an Operating System for Home Server (skylake setup with i3). I am very familiar with Windows solutions and hence this is probably my preference, unless someone can suggest a better solution that is easy to setup and have high compatibility with other devices and OS platforms.

I would ideally like the functionality of Windows Home Server and correct me if I am wrong but I need the pro version of windows on the server (host - as it requires remote desktop) to allow my work laptop and other devices (clients can use home premium version) to access files when not connected to the local network (away from home).

Functionality i am seeking is:

Automated backups of clients to server Streaming media and files to clients automating anti-virus software updates etc No really interested in Raid arrays but would like to set up a drive pool/drive extender type funcitionality

I am new to this type of Operating System setup so would appreciate any opinions and advice. If Microsoft was still maintaining WHS I probably would have gone with this type of OS.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube