add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do You Cheap Out On Cases, Or Spend A Little More?

Vinyl_Scratch_

44 months ago

In a little more depth simply because the title would be way too long.

Do you cheap out on cases to deal with a worse building experience? Loss of features, experience. and cooling for a little extra cash for your other components? Or do you spend a little more to get a good case, with the features you'd like, great cable management, good cooling potential, etc.
Personally, I prefer spending a little more if I can. I've worked with terribly managed cases before, and it's NOT fun to do cable management when there is literately as much space to cable management to lay a flat SATA power cable. And I absolutely love doing cable management too.

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 4 points

Spend enough to get what you need, spend a little more to get what you want.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Well said.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Its hard to really understand the impact of a case when you build your first 2-3 computers.

The size even though written, corresponds badly to the case's footprint on our desks.

I took the time to look at review on good websites/youtube before picking mine up so I knew it would be good and I paid a bit more to get a more recent version of the Phantom cases with more space.

Looking back, I would have been just as fine with something like a Fractal Design R5 or an H440.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Cable management skills can overcome any cheap-o case in my opinion. I stuffed a utx board and all into the cheapest Thermaltake case at microcenter once and it was perfect.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

It was just annoying that the cable management was from the side panel

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I do spend more on cases because I care a lot about how they look and how well they perform. Given that I often use cases for multiple builds, I want them to work well over time, have good features, and be strong enough to last that long.

My latest cases are the Phanteks Evolv ATX (best-looking case I've seen in a long time, good cooling, super easy to work in), the Silverstone FT03 Mini (nice small media case, not easy to work in, but very pretty and serves its purpose very well), and a Fractal Design R4 (quality build, nice features, cools well and is unobtrusive in its looks). I don't regret any of them nor spending the extra on them.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

First build, with little money...build in a shoe box if needed. After that get a nice case to last a few more builds.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd rather go a bit cheaper on some other components (HDD, PSU (semi-modular)) than give up the aesthetically pleasing looks of a well made case.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

My wife's build is currently in an nzxt phantom 410. Her choice and I loved building in it and her next few streaming builds will be in that case most likely. She said afterwards it was bigger than she had thought it would be but she still loves it and cable management was a breeze lol. WAY Nicer than her cheapo case I got for basically free (CM Storm Original Revision) and well worth the money imo.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, I love the Phantom series personally, bur pretty much no one uses them anymore.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, she picked it and I knew it was a good case. plenty of room for cable management and a fan controller (albeit a kind of ghetto one), and it looks sick. :D

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

My first build I just cheaped out with a £20 Casecom. While it does he job it does feel cheap when I'm working in it. It's about four years old now and it's really showing its age; front I/O port is broken (consequences of having kids) amongst other things.

I'm now building a new system in an SFF mITX form factor. That alone drives the cost up, but I'm in a good job and I wanted something much more solid; no plastic. I didn't think twice about dropping £120 on a Silverstone FTZ01B. It's steel and aluminium with very subtle but stylish design features. I couldn't be happier with it. It feels amazingly robust. It's definitely more than I could've paid, but in the end it comes down to the fact that I wanted this case and it's worth it to me.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey if it lasts you longer than a cheaper case, then you already won :P

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Had same issue: broken front USB port due to kids.

I like the FTZ01B but also liked the RVZ01B. Maybe the FTZ01Bi s too heavy? I know plastic may look cheap, but is lighter. Maybe I say that just because I used to play on consoles :P

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

The FTZ01 is certainly weighty. I couldn't tell you exactly how heavy but it's definitely not insignificant. Empty it already feels heavier than my Xbox One. That's something I actually quite like about it; really gives that solid feeling. My only disappointment with the case is that the GPU bracket is molded plastic, but given it's complexity I'm not surprised.

I personally prefer the Fortress' aesthetics. No disrespect to those that like the Raven styling but I just find it OTT for me. I like the understated aluminium look.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I got the SG10 and I think I understand now what you mean. The SG10 feels sturdy and looks awesome, in fact looks better than on pictures. However, I think is heavier than my old bigger case (mostly steel).

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm glad you like it. I hadn't heard of Silverstone (as a computer component manufacturer) until I started planning my current build a few months ago. They've definitely become my favourite case manufacturer though; there's some pretty awesome stuff in their lineup. I was actually thinking of going for a Sugo myself until I settled on wanting an SFF build.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Me neither, otherwise I may have considered them one year ago. While looking for a new case I realized I liked at least 4 different cases from their different lines. They became my favorite brand as I see they are really into innovation. I like "different" :)

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it depends.

I got a cheap case (Xigmatek Spirit for $40) for my first build. Still a decent case, cannot complain.

I bought this case because wanted something not too expensive in case I decided to replace it later. In my case (no pun intended) I ended up spending more than planned on other components.

One year later I just got a better case (and expensive) for my components, since also I wanted something more to my linking and compact (I move my pc between rooms very often, because, kids).

I would say, go for a cheap case when building for the first time and use the savings for other components. Once you start upgrading (and who doesn't?) take your time to research and decide what you want from a case, and how much are you willing to spent.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the case's value/price should be in line to the value of the parts you are going to be putting into the case. Like if you are doing a budget build of idk $800 then you should not be spending anymore than $100 on the case imo. That being said spending more on the case is always a good idea because a well thought out case will be great for your sanity when you are building your system and also when you go and do some upgrades in the future.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube