add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question about rad placement? (CPU/GPU AIOs?)

xianaru

45 months ago

I heard somewhere that the radiator should be above the graphics card or something like that because otherwise air bubbles will form and damage the pump. I can't recall specifically but this was having to deal with the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid. Could someone clarify this to me? and does this apply to AIO CPU coolers toos?

So your rad has to be physically above, so wouldn't that mean placing rads on the front/bottom of the case be harmful to the pump then versus the top/exhaust portion of a case?

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think it's really an issue. These closed loops are sealed under pressure and tested before they're shipped out to try and prevent air bubbles.

As long as you don't start unsealing the loop you should be fine. However, there's no harm to putting the pump at the bottom if you want to be safe. I looked at a couple of manuals for AIOs and none mentioned a problem with this.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont know where you heard that, but it's completely wrong, in any watercooling situation.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

It might have been the tubing position. I can't remember the source.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube