add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it really worth it?

CoopBro
  • 48 months ago

I am curious, how much money do you save getting a higher efficiency PSU? Is it like AMD vs Intel where it's so minimal it won't matter over the years, or does it make a noticeable difference?

And then there's the P2 650 which is cheaper than the G2 650... but I want to know if it might be worth it because I am not buying quite yet, I don't have the money nor know how much power I'll need

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

In America or most of the 1st world, you will likely never get the money on power savings alone to make up the difference between 2 different efficiency PSUs. In the third world where power is VERY expensive it can make a noticeable difference. If you want to save electricity it makes way more sense to start with efficient parts in the first place vs. buying a super efficient PSU.

For example, you will use less power with a system that pulls 250w under load that uses a bronze PSU than a system that uses 350w under load but uses a platinum PSU.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, that's reasonable thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube