add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Custom PSU Cable Questions

SpicyDeAsh
  • 47 months ago

Hello, so I am going to be building my first PC soon and I've heard that many of the ways to set your PC apart from the many others is to make custom cables for your PC. So, I've been looking for the past few weeks at the best cable brands and I've stopped at Ultimate Personal Computers/ UPC. The only thing is, I know a little bit about what to get, but I don't know how much of it I should get. I don't want to under order because then I'll be left high and dry with a PC that can't power on, and I don't want to order too much because then I'm left with all of this stuff that I won't use for another whole year. This is what my PC is looking like as far as specs go: 1 Processor (Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3), 1 Motherboard (ASUS Z97-AR ATX), 1 Graphics Card (Radeon R9 390), 1 Liquid CPU Cooler (Corsair H100i GTX), 2x8GB RAM (Corsair Dominator Platinum), 1 SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 250GB), 1 HDD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB), 1 PSU (Corsair RM 850W), 1 Sound Card (ASUS Xonar DGX), 1 Wifi Card (TP-Link TL-WDN4800), 3 Case Fans (Corsair Air Series AF 140), 4 CPU Cooler Fans (Corsair Air Series SP 120), and hopefully a companion that will provide me with moral support throughout the experience. What do I absolutely need to get in order to get power to all of these units, and how much of it should I get in order to make sure it is tip top quality? Thank you!

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

First thing if I may, swap out the RM power supply for an RMi or RMX unit. Normally similar price but the latter two are of better quality.

For the custom cables they come in two flavours, extensions or full replacement kit. The extension as the name indicate just tack onto the end of existing power supply cables. They are generally cheaper, universally fitting (mostly) and ideal in cases where your power supply is hidden in itself for example so you only see the extension cables themselves.

Replacement kit as the name may suggest is a replacement of the cable, direct from PSU to component. These are generally more expensive and come in a bundle, but you do have the benefit in the cable is sleeved the whole length (ideal if you can see the PSU). One thing that needs to be kept in mind is that power supplies from brand to brand, or even within the same brand have diffrent connector types. So unlike simple extensions they will not work across the board. For example buying the EVGA G2 replacement kit would not work with Corsair units.

Typically the cables you want to replace are the ones on show. Typically CPU (8 Pin) in your build, 24 pin motherboard connector and the connectors for the GPU.

First would be to decide if you want to go full replacement or just extensions.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally, a replacement cable sounds more enticing to me, because I have a more compact case (Corsair Air 540 Silver), so the PSU will showing. The sound card will be showing, so should I add custom cables to that or should I keep it the same. Also, what would the cables that come with the power supply look? If they look super ugly, I might just get black sleeving for them so that it doesn't stand out or anything, but it still looks nice. Thank you so much for the helpful comment!

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe its the HD Audio cable from the front IO that plugs into the Soundcard. You can get sleeved extensions for that also.

First depends what power supply you settle on really. For that system a solid 550 watts unit would do the job. These two are very good units for around $75 RMx: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na and G2 https://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1

Both come with all black cables which is a bonus in that sense. The G2 is all black sleeved cables while the RMx uses a sleeved 24 pin ATX and Ribbon style cables for the others.

Also that case is pretty great in that the PSU does not show right? Its normall in a sperate chamber on the back of the case so not really seen I thought?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube