add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wattage leeway

AdelTheQadi
  • 48 months ago

Wasn't sure how to word the question to find an answer though searching. Let's say I make a build on here and the calculated wattage is something like 741W. I know the total wattage of the system isn't 100% accurate and will be more or less, but would it be fine getting a 750W PSU, or is it smarter to get something that'll deliver more wattage like a more expensive 800W or more PSU, just to give it some headroom? Also, would overclocking and voltage increases make more of a difference?

(Assume that any power supply I choose is no less than 80+ Gold)

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 3 points

Efficiency ratings have little to do with the quality of a PSU.

It also depends on the components. The estimated wattage is not always wrong the same way. It's always overestimated, but not the same amount for every build.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

A good quality psu should be able to run at it's max load for the length of it's warranty but it's usually recommended to shot above that so you get better power efficiency from the unit (depends on the psu ofc but in general max efficiency is in the 50-80% load) and that also helps give the psu a longer lifetime.

Yes overclocking increases wattage, if you have a ~750w build and you want to oc (cpu & gpu) you prolly need to be at a 1000w unit minimum, depending on components (amd cpus/gpus are more power hungry than intel/nvidia for example).

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you give us a list of your components? This will really help on deciding which PSU is suitable for you needs.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dm8Z4D Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dm8Z4D/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) Motherboard: MSI B85M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.88 @ OutletPC) Memory: Crucial 24GB (3 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($26.99 @ Amazon) Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.94 @ Amazon) Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz) Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($329.99 @ Amazon) Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($329.99 @ Amazon) Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz) Total: $1285.74 Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 12:21 EDT-0400

All totaling 747 Watts. I want 80+ Gold minimum because most of the time, this machine will be running overnight raytracing 3D rendered scenes

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

For a 390 in a 2-way crossfire, I recommend a 1000W PSU.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I want 80+ Gold minimum because most of the time, this machine will be running overnight raytracing 3D rendered scenes

Still really doesn't justify you must having +80 gold.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/04/80_plus_irrelevant_to_you_when_buying_psu/

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube