add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Moving an Operating System to a new computer?

FelixArchfire
  • 50 months ago

My motherboard in my computer is currently fried, so I plan on building a new computer soon. Simply working out my budget, but I was wondering if it was possible to take the hard drive out of my existing computer. place it in the new build, factory reset it (since the Operating System came on the hard drive and not a CD or flashdrive), chose to install to my SSD, take out the old mechanical drive, throw it in the trash, and be good? Or will I need to purchase a new version of Windows?

Would it be worth it to use the old drive period since it's about five years old? (mechanical)

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

...will I need to purchase a new version of Windows?

Yes.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Dammit!

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

throw it in the trash

Before you throw the old hard drive in the trash, you need to make sure your personal information to totally and completely remove. A "format" wont get you to bare bone drive. My suggestion, rent a AK-47 rifle and put a round of 300 into your hard drive. That way, someone going through your trash can not recover leftover hidden data :)

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

If it’s a OEM OS which came along with system then it has a OS product key embedded in earlier system’s motherboard. No matter whether you replace the HDD, it will still search for the same old motherboard on server. It will ask for OS product key in case if you replace the Motherboard.

You can try this. 1) Arrange same Windows version disk from anyone you know. (Make sure it has to be a Genuine Copy) 2) Choose whether you want to replace a HDD or not. 3) Install the OS from disk 4) It will ask to enter product key since new Motherboard is placed, enter the old product key, it should accept it.

Please let me know if it works.

Regards, Jayson Cummins | Tech Support Team

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube