add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Could someone explain this to me?

Ojanican

76 months ago

I am going to buy either an Intel Core i3-3225 or an Intel Core i5-4670k fro my first PC build, I was checking the compatibility of my parts in the system build section of PCpartpicker.com and I wasn't sure if I had to buy the CPU cooler separately, or if it came with the CPU. I have heard that if you buy a retail CPU, you get a heat-sync (or heat sink, not sure), is this the same thing?

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 2 points

you wont need to buy anything aftermarket, it will come with a heatsink and fan, and paste pre-applied. and also, dont listen to the others. the i3 is a capable cpu

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I can list all my parts if that is needed. :)

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

All CPU's will come with a standard heat sink fan, but it is low quality. It will perfectly fine if you won't be OCing but if you will then buy a separate CPU cooler.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

The OP is correct only retail intel CPU's come with cooler OEM's do not.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

When you buy a retail CPU Usually in box you receive 1. CPU 2. Heatsink plus fan 3. some sort of sticker 4. A users manual

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

The CPUs come with a stock cooler and heatsink. A heatsink is like a conductor that transfers the heat to the fan, or cooler. By the way, don't buy a after-market cooler unless you're planning to overclock. Otherwise, stick with the cooler that comes with the CPU.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

The cooler heatsink has been answered. What you need to know is that Intel has 3 levels of CPU's, i3, i5 and i7. The best for gaming from the intel line is the i5-4670k or the older i5-3570k. If your trying to save some money get the i3-4130 of fx-6300 from amd.

• 76 months ago
  • 0 points

Yes as long as its not OEM, Dont get an I3 they are old and slow.

• 76 months ago
  • -1 points

Old? No, Intel still makes the i3 line even with haswell.

Slow? That is relative. i3 may be slow in comparison to an i5 or i7 but and i3 is a perfectly capable CPU and would be perfectly fine for doing most tasks.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

But you do realize that for the same price you can get an AMD 8-core? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd8150frgubox

• 75 months ago
  • 0 points

what? I recommended the 4130, that's not 140$

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

right now its 139.99, it usually is on sale every week. It will destroy an I3, and you can overclock it too almost 5ghz

• 75 months ago
  • 0 points

the i3-4130 is 117$ right now, that's a difference of nearly 25$. That's not the same price.

But anyways the 8150 would be the smarter budget choice but as I stated before, we do not know what the OP's build is and if he is planning an M-ITX build then AMD is pretty much irrelevant.

I would also like to say that the OP never asked for processor advice, he was simply asking if the processors came with a HSF.

• 76 months ago
  • 0 points

I would highly recommend the 4130 over the 3225, it may have been a typo in your post though as you did list the 4670k as an option also and that would be on the 1150 socket.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube