add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I go for Ubuntu or Win 10?

Lordofmatrix
  • 49 months ago

I'm doing my first build, at around 900 dollars. Sould I spend 120$ on windows, or get Ubuntu? Also, is that subreddit, Microsoft software swap legit? Should I go there and get a 35-45$ key?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 49 months ago
  • 4 points

Even if Windows was free I would still recommend Ubuntu, if it will work for you.

If you want to play or create video content or anything similar you should go for Windows.

Actually, Windows is like 5-10% slower at that.

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Never buy from reddit. At least Grey market sights offer customer support and refunds for stuff... Reddit is NOT a legit market or even a proper Grey market. Don't do it. (don't buy windows keys from Grey markets either...)

As for Ubuntu vs windows... Best answer is to try it. If you can tolerate Ubuntu and find no pressing need for Microsoft compatibility, then good... If not, THEN buy windows 10

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

...is that subreddit, Microsoft software swap legit?

Questionable. Not recommended. Do so at your own risk.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on the use you'll give to the build, if you're just browsing or programming then any Linux distro would be just fine. If you want to play or create video content or anything similar you should go for Windows.

Linux is very complex from time to time and you'll have to learn certain things to keep your system up and running.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are a student, look into that Microsoft deal. Otherwise, run Linux until the legitimate copy's of Windows go on sale. I don't have a ton of free time around the house to be worrying about a cheap key deactivating my windows install. The extra money for the real deal is worth the peace of mind.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Is that subreddit, Microsoft software swap legit?

Nope, not in the slightest.

The vast majority are re-sold volume license keys, MSDN, student keys, or literally ripped off labels from prebuilts.

While I'm not encouraging it at all Microsoft would see the exact same amount of money as if you pirated it, $0.

You can get a legit copy of Windows for about $90, not sure where you got $120 from unless its a pro copy and I'm doubting you need a pro copy. As for which one to get if its gaming I would go for Windows, you can easily afford to get a copy of Windows within budget.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

It really depends what you're doing. If it's just workstation stuff and you're savvy enough then Ubuntu would suit you fine. If you want to play games at all then Windows is still the only real option.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Support as in compatible consumer programming/software? I would agree with you there, but these days you can get almost anything you want on Linux. It might not be "brand name", but it typically works.

As for tech support? You can find forums where other random people dedicate hours to helping you fix your problem just because they believe in a free open source OS and community. Not saying Microsoft's customer service is always bad, but it certainly isn't any better.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube