add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I reuse a windows 7 CD on another system?

AlexSushiDog
  • 50 months ago

Hey. I'm building a PC for a friend and to save money I said he could use my copy of Windows 7. I want to know if it is possible to do this without any negative repercussions on my computer like windows uninstalling. Basically, is it possible to install windows on multiple computers with the same disk? Sorry if this is a noob question. -Sushi

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

No you cannot:

If you successfully get this to work, you will either have to deactivate one end to get the other to work, or you would end up getting another product key.

That and if your copy of Windows 7 is an OEM, that key is bound to the motherboard. (I've heard of ways to get it off, but I doubt that's nowhere near legal.)

Alternatively if you want to save some money, you can go with a Linux distro or for $20, you can get OSX, that is if it's compatible which I'm not too sure myself.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

What would happen if one end deactivated?

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

You wouldn't be able to use that end if the other is activated, and same vise versa.

And for an edit, while Apple most likely won't sue you for building a Hackintosh, installing OSX on a non-Apple branded machine is against their EULA.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

No.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Your actually partly wrong bro(read my comment)

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

...without any negative repercussions on my computer like windows uninstalling.

Above statement would indicate that the product key is also being used in more than one system at the same time.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, although you can only use a windows key so many times before it invalid

windows unistalling...

Lol not going to happen unless you do that yourself(you'd need to delete a few important files for the computer not to start)

BUT make sure the copy isnt OEM(if it is then you cant because OEM is a on time use key linked to the motherboard)

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the Windows 7 a family pack?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube